Language Requirements

Essentially, my major requires second-year study in a foreign language. Study doesn't have to be done through college courses - if I wanted to learn a language independently, I could. I'm an English major with an emphasis in creative writing, planning to teach post-secondary. I've taken two out of six courses in Spanish, but as I get deeper into my major, I'm really starting to see the need for Latin. I honestly hate Spanish, but it's becoming a more universal language in the US. Also, my school doesn't offer Latin - I'd have to take online courses or do independent study. The pros to taking Latin are fairly obvious with my major - a greater understanding of the basis of English.

So, which language should I learn?

Spanish would be a more general use language if you have contact with a lot of Spanish speaking people. Some places have larger Spanish speaking populations and it would be helpful to be able to interact with them. However, if you don't live where you would use Spanish it wouldn't be overly useful. Latin is a language that is used in both literature and hard sciences; it would give you a better understanding of the origin of most modern European languages. It does give depth to the meaning of specific words if you have a better understanding of the construction of that word from its parent language. Latin is also a language that is very structured and organized so it does teach logic and reasoning.

I would suggest Latin considering your major.

Spanish would be a more general use language if you have contact with a lot of Spanish speaking people. Some places have larger Spanish speaking populations and it would be helpful to be able to interact with them. However, if you don't live where you would use Spanish it wouldn't be overly useful. Latin is a language that is used in both literature and hard sciences; it would give you a better understanding of the origin of most modern European languages. It does give depth to the meaning of specific words if you have a better understanding of the construction of that word from its parent language. Latin is also a language that is very structured and organized so it does teach logic and reasoning.

I would suggest Latin considering your major.

I think this is an excellent point. I speak a little of both languages and I have to say I enjoyed learning Latin more.

Definitely go with the language that you think you'll enjoy. Plus, if you have quite a bit of Latin under your belt, a few years down the road it will be easier to learn other romance languages...in case you ever decide you want to take up Spanish again. Also, while I'm no expert in literature and writing, I feel like it does incorporate many Latin expressions/quotes -- and you yourself said that it would deepen your understanding of English grammar.

I personally think that Latin is fascinating and definitely not "dead," as some people would say. Its linguistic descendants live on and prosper!

Archived