Lost wieght now have another problem

In the past 8 months I've lost 30 pounds. I would like to lose another 20 eventually. My probelm is that although I am losing it slowly like is recommended and am exercising (doing cardio and weights) my skin is not bouncing back as I would have hoped.

I have heard that your skin loses it's elasticity as you age (I am 46) and it sure it true. I have small wrinkles where I have lost weight and am afraid that if I lose antoher 20 pounds it will be even worse. Any suggestions on what I can do about this?

Hey Cinder,

First of all, well done on the weightloss!!!

I think that the 'redundant' skin is a familiar problem after a weightloss that big. I have no experience with this, but saw some people on Discovery who got plastic surgery for this. I don't know if this is a road you want to travel- honestly I think that your doctor can tell you much more if you can expect the skin to get tighter again. Seeing that you're 46, I doubt that that will really 'bounce back' completely.

I don't know if you mean stretchmarks by those wrinkles? I have them from growing very fast when I was younger, but also because I gained a lot on antidepressants a few years ago. My breast went from a AA to a full C *those were the times * and from C to A/AA again. I have those stretchmarks as well, but they got less since I have lived through some beachy summers between now and the big switch in weight in 2003 due to quitting that meds.

Arwen

No I don't mean stretch marks - I have those too. It's just a little excess skin that has not shrunk as I have. It's not much and really not noticeable I'm just worried if I lose another 20 pounds it will become much more noticeable. I feel I am losing slowly enough so I was hoping the skin would adjust with me but I guess the age factor isn't helping much. I was hoping to get some advice on how to prevent it while I work on the last 20 pounds. It might not be possible but I thought I'd ask. THanks!!!

hey cinder-

Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done about the excess skin except surgery.

I lost about 50lbs over the last year and I have the same problem.

It's because your skin has elastic fibers in it and those fibers lost elasticity when you extend them for prolonged periods of time, during the aging process, or excessive sun exposure.

So the best thing to do is to wear sunscreen, and try to maintain a constant weight.

Your skin will appear to glow a bit with proper hydration, so drink sufficient water.

Hugs, Rose

Archived