Comprehension Problems

Okay, so here's the dealo:

I don't know what's up with me, but I have a serious problem comprehending what people are saying sometimes. I've noticed it happens a lot when I'm talking to my Math/Logic teacher. When I ask them a question I often walk away more confused then before. I usually get by in the class by looking at examples, but if someone would try to explain it to me verbally I would be completely baffled. This happens from time to time in my daily life too, just while taking instructions.

I don't know if it's ADD, but I've noticed that I often worry about not understanding what someone is saying when they are talking to me, leaving me worse off.

Anyways, it's worrying me because I don't want this problem to hinder my finding a job.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Perhaps you're more of a visual processor, than an auditory one. I know that I am.

When dealing with dense materials, I always prefer to digest it visually than aurally.

This much I know lol.

I was just hoping there would be a way to improve my auditory learning ability. It's such a big part of life I can't imagine getting by without it .

We all have ADD! dont let these medicine commercials instill these medical conditions into your brain-it's what they're supposed to do. the worst thing you can do is self-diagnose. I HATE MEDICINE COMMERCIALS!!! DAMN PHARMACEUTICAL CORPORATIONS!!!! (but thats a whole 'nother topic)

sometimes people are just poorly articulate and difficult to understand, and some people are just poor interpretters...or maybe you are just going about 'learning' in a way your body doesnt easily adjust to. I know when my boyfriend talks to me about history and timelines and how things ended up the way they are it all makes sense as he telling it to me-it makes complete sense but when i try to reiterate it to someone else my mind gets all flustered and im like 'i dunno, its really interesting..but talk to him about it' lol its frustrating but do i think its a medical condition?...NO! ugh and me with math is just a no-go im SURRRE people like you & i are perfect candidates for about a million different types of pills, but the truth of the matter is im sure youre fine and like redqueen said you probably just learn differently. write things down as people tell you, sketch out the information as a drawing, try other methods before tossing around medical conditions.

And don't watch much TV. It'll rot your brain AND promote a pill unrot it at the same time. lol

-DG724

This much I know lol.

I was just hoping there would be a way to improve my auditory learning ability. It's such a big part of life I can't imagine getting by without it .

you probably just have too much on your mind while this information is being given to you. nowadays the everyday adult has hundreds of issues to deal with and its so easy to get mentally sidetracked by something else goin on, lose focus on what you SHOULD be focusing on and not even know it! I suggest meditating everyday. yoga even.

-DG724

This much I know lol.

If you hone your conversational skills, by default you'll be able to process more information by way of the ear.

When I took logic, I would speak up in class and engage myself in the lecture. That would always prove to be an effective way for me to better retain the information (that, and reading the text book of course).

I teach a lot of IT skills at work, and to be honest most people learn by doing it themselves with me guiding rather than by sitting there and listening. That's not odd AT ALL, it seems to be you're pretty normal! It's not that easy to learn by listening alone, to be honest.

The thing to do is to work out what works for you when listening - I tend to take notes if it's something I need to do, and believe me, people are sooooooooo grateful that I have written it down verbatim (eg how to test the fire alarms!) rather than just stood there and politely nodded while someone explains.

It's finding out what works for you, and applying it. That's the smart thing to do - but no, you're not at all unusual, you seem pretty normal to me!

BTW, what did people do before we'd heard of ADHD? I think there are of course people with it, and I work with people who have it, but it seems to be much MUCH more common in the US than it is here in the UK.

Anyway, don't sweat it - seem perfectly normal to me in terms of your comprehension!