Omega Three Fatty Acid Supplements

Dilly

I always took Omega 3- even before I was pregnant. I used to take fish oil or flaxseed oil.

Once I became pregnant I switched to this:

link removed

which is supposed to support brain and eye development.

It's expensive though

This reason I decided to take it was because I was unsure if I had enough in my diet naturally.

BellaDonna

There's certainly been some hype the past few years about Omega 3. It seems eating fish could be considered a doubled edged sword. On the one hand the Omega 3 fatty acids seem beneficial (although there doesn't seem to be an iron clad proof yet). On the other hand, fish can contain heavy metals as also reported.

We decided to go with the Omega 3 eggs, which basically come about when the chickens are fed a particular diet. Anyway, there are eggs with varying amounts of Omega 3, and there does seem to be a high correlation between high Omega 3 eggs and high cost. On the other hand, I haven't heard any negatives of the high content Omega 3 eggs versus the more usual ones.

I suspect what the sources that know would recommend is that you eat a moderate amount of fish to stay within the limits of the nasty chemicals that tend to concentrate in the little criters. Beyond that, consider the high Omega 3 eggs, and also keep a look out for the Omega 3 yogurt it you're so inclined to eat such things. THey seem to be a pretty safe route to increase Omega 3.

I try to eat oily fish a couple of times a week - whenever I take cod liver oil/oil capsules, I get the most horrendous spots on my chin within days. Plus - this is gross - I hate the fishy burps that you get with the tablets....

Ah, you can't say I don't share here!

HAHAHA... yeah, a couple times a week doesn't seem like a lot to ask. I read somewhere today that in order to eat more than 12 oz. of fish, you might consider that three meals. In the study cited above, the subjects were eating 12 oz fish or more per week.

A fine balance. I am going to start supplementing now so that baby can be smart and have good vision. The 2004 FDA warning about high mercury levels was deemed by some to be deletarious to the public. But I'm not sure what to think now.

I think like everyone says, it's all about balance.