I am considering getting an IUD device. My doctor doesn't like it because she says there is a small chance of causing infetility with it, but how big a chance is it really?

I don't trust condoms and birth control pills disagree with me. I just got onto the depo-provera shot again, but I do notice a difference between no-shot and shot. My emotions and interest seem to have flattened out somewhat.

So, that leaves the IUD... How big is the risk? Uncomfortable? I'd like to try something non-hormonal when my current shot wears off...

This link list IUD risk.

link removed

Side Effects

Both the ParaGard and the Mirena IUDs can cause longer, heavier, and more painful menstrual periods, but this is much less common with the Mirena. The increased blood flow may cause anemia. Spotting may occur without serious cause or as a sign of infection.

The Mirena IUD can cause ovarian cysts. Some women using the Mirena stop bleeding altogether. Usually their menstrual periods return when the IUD is removed. Mirena can cause weight gain, headaches, increased blood pressure, acne, depression, and decrease in sex drive.

Future Fertility

Women who want to become pregnant may have their IUD removed at any time. While most women who stop using IUDs are able to become pregnant, IUDs can have negative effects on a woman's fertility. If perforation, embedding, or pelvic infection occurs, the uterus or tubes may become damaged and lower the chance of pregnancy. In cases of severe damage or infection of the uterus, a hysterectomy (removal of the uterus) may be required, resulting in permanent sterility. The synthetic hormone in the Mirena IUD can cause a delay in return of menstruation and fertility after it is removed.

Hey Aurian!

I have an IUD (non hormonal copper one...in Canada our selection is different than those in US too, I have a "Copper T" which is smaller than Paragard and better for most women whom have not had children as they have smaller uteruses).

Mirena is a hormonal one, so it explains its different side effects. I wanted to get off hormones, so did not go that route.

I LOVE mine, and have had no complications. INsertion was unpleasant but I was a tougher case apparently, and I was crampy for a couple days, but was able to go to gym that same night and was running the next day too. No problems since, and periods are normal, regular and no discomfort (some women get more crampier and heavier periods at least initially, but this often disperses too).

The risk of infertility and scarring is actually VERY low. In the past, the old IUD's (Dalkon Shield) caused a larger risk of scarring and infertility as they were designed in a way that increased chances of infection (their strings were braided) and also women were improperly advised on whether it was suitable. THey were also larger and often scraped the inside uterine walls causing scarring which = infertility. Today's IUD's are much smaller and much better designed! They even have ones they can sew into your uterine wall without the strings leading out of your cervix but I did not look into these much, so don't have much to tell you about those.

In some rare cases, perforation of uterus occurs, but this tends to be at insertion, with unskilled doctors (in this area) where they have not properly measured your uterus, or "force it". Find someone whom has done it before, and will be cautious.

If you are a woman whom has a high risk of infections, or a history of STI's, or not in a committed, mongamous relationship the risks are higher than if you are monogamous (and your partner is too!) with low history of infections, including yeast and STI infections.

There is also a risk of ectopic pregnancy, but you need to put it in perspective that risk of pregnancy in first place with it is VERY low, and that while of those there is a "higher risk" it is still less than than in the first place..but if you do have an ectopic, it can mean removal of one fallopian tube which of course affects fertility to some degree, so sometimes doctors will blame this on being reason not to get it, but it all depends on what you are comfortable with and putting it in perspective too.

Many doctors today are still going with the old advice, and not up to date on IUD's, and that the technology and knowledge has changed a lot. I would advise you do your own research, see another doctor even for another opinion, before deciding. It is certainly not for everyone, but for me it is was an ideal choice as I really needed to get away from hormones, wanted something that was relatively low maintenance and worry, and reversible. I also was a good candidate due health history, and being in a monogamous relationship.

Oh, and make sure you are not allergic to copper...wear a copper bracelet for a few days to see first! Some women are, so get side effects and need to have it removed promptly.

Sounds good... I would probably be a good candidate as well since I am the monagamous type, am STI-free, don't have any relevant health issues and so on. I also react to the hormonal things so feel like i have exhausted that route. I do like not having to worry about caps, condoms, and suchlike.

I will go and do some research, show it to my doc and discuss the issue. I am leaning towards it, I just wanted to get some info since my doctor was very much against the idea when I asked about it before.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have a Iud and I am thinking about having it taken out because I have been spotting since August and then my first real period I cramped so bad and the bleeding was so heavy that I had to stay home for the first three days of my period. I already have three children and I am 29 years old and I don't want to have anymore kids so I plain on getting my tubs cut.

I have Mirena - I LOVE IT! Like RayKay, the insertion was a tad uncomfortable (ok... ALOT), but within a day I was fine. The first month was a lot of spotting, but my period has pretty much stopped now (3 months later). My gyno could not talk them up enough, she is totally in love with them. Apparently her and the three other female doctors at the clinic have them. I don't know the exact numbers, but she told me the "risks" were very low.

The Mirena does have hormones though (a form of progesterone, similar to birth control pills)....so depending on the person there tend to be more side effects than the copper one.

I for example wanted to go COMPLETELY off the hormones. As a result I still get periods...but I am okay with that as I was finding the hormones made me less fun and mildly depressed....

So make sure you decide whether you want hormones or not too!