Got double instead of single room...Decision time?

I was so excited for next year of college because I applied to live in a language dorm -- meaning that all conversation that takes place in the public spaces of the dormitory is in French -- and was accepted. However, I got an email today from the director saying that I would be living in a double room, and that for now I'm waitlisted for a single, along with a few others. He doesn't know what the chances are of us (the people receiving the email) actually getting a single.

So now I don't know what to do. I absolutely do NOT want to be living with a roommate...However, after spending the last year and a half at home for various reasons, I want to feel like I'm a part of the campus life, and the language dorm offers a really nice environment. And of course, there's the wonderful opportunity to practice my French all the time. But the roommate thing is really throwing me off. I'm not really liking the other options that I have (normal dorms, or my own apartment), and if I want either one of those, I have to act quickly (housing is VERY limited here and goes fast!), meaning that I can't wait until the room assignments for the language dorms are finalized a the end of the summer.

What to do? Do I suck it up and lead a miserable existence with a roommate for the sake of bettering my French and integrating myself into campus life? Or do I wait and pray that I actually manage to get a single...and if that doesn't work out, resign myself to living at home for yet another year?

*PS. I put this in this category because it's related to my educational experience...but mods, feel free to move it.

HOnestly, I'd give it a shot, even if you do have to have a roommie. It could be disasterous, but at the same time, you could have the greatest time of your life.

I had a HORRIBLE freshman dorm experience, but 99% of my friends loved it.

And being in a language dorm is a fabulous opportunity. Just think how amazing your French skills will be!!

Rememeber, you don't have to actually hang out with the roommie...

I'd recommend doing it. Although having a roommate has some certain drawbacks, I think you'll find that it's not as bad as it thinks. I currently live with a roommate in a dorm room, and we don't even see each other all that much. And who knows, you might make a friend!

The problem is, I'm terribly wary of roommates now because my freshman year was a veritable disaster. If I run into that girl again (which I won't, because we now go to different schools), I will be put in jail for homocide. I just don't want to be subjected to that kind of torture again...

I know what you mean about being turned off by having roommates cuz of your freshman. I had two bad roommates that year, however, the rest of the years have been good. If I were you I would go for the double room just to have the experience of living in a language dorm, an extra bonus would be putting it on your resume. I would encourage you to go ahead and take the double room. This dorm sounds like a great opportunity for you.