Working from home blues

I've posted on here before about working from home and how lonely it has been for me. I'm feeling kinda down right now because I guess I am noticing that in addition to being lonely, I don't think I work as well as I did when I worked in an office environment. One of my co-workers pointed out a mistake I made and it seems to be a pretty big, dumb mistake that'll take some time to clear up. It's very unlike me to make mistakes like this and I guess it's just disappointing to know I'm capable of it. I take pride in what I do, but lately I've been seeing more and more small mistakes popping up. None of them are mistakes that would ever reflect poorly on me... Everything I am working on is still in testing mode and as long as everything is caught before our deadlines, it's fine, but I'm not used to hearing about as many errors as I have been. I really think being at home contributes... I find myself feeling down about my job a lot more than I used to, with I think ends up reflecting in my work. I have a lot on my plate right now and having to go back and fix what I broke is stressful, but I guess there's not much that can be done about it. I'm not really asking for advice, unless anyone knows of ways to making working from home easier. I guess I mostly just wanted to rant a little and I don't know who else to ask to listen.

Thanks

I totally know where you're coming from. I've been working at home for 15 months now, and I go through these same bouts of lonliness. Here's a few things that I've done that helps combat those blues, maybe one of them will help.

1) Get iTunes. I download podcasts and listen to them often during the day. It's better than the radio or music because it's actual voices.

2) DVD's in the background. Same idea as #1, just hearing familiar voices in the background really can help.

3) Get online friends! When I'm really feeling alone I start chatting with a friend for 10 or 15 minutes. It does a world of good.

4) Get out of the house. Even if it's just going to the bank, the gas station or whatever, seeing other people makes a big impact on my day. If you're in a warmer climate, go for a walk.

I hope some of those suggestions help. It sucks when your work slips, I know that all too well.

• Like 1

Thanks zerohalo. I don't have a TV in my office because I was worried about it becoming a distraction, but I suppose if I put on a DVD that I've seen many times, it'll just be background noise like you said. That's a really good idea. Every now and then I listen to webinars for things in my field so that if it becomes a distraction, I can tell myself it's still work related, haha... Do you ever find yourself paying too much attention to your podcasts? At first, I wanted to stay away from that stuff, but considering I feel like my work is suffering, it may not be a bad trade off. As far as chatting with friends, where do you find people to talk to? I feel bad IM'ing my friends during the day because I don't want to be a nuisance or distract them from their own work.

Here's the thing about bugging your friends at work, 9/10 times, they want to be bugged. Almost everyone wants a quick distraction from what they're doing. Just pop on, say "Hi" and if they're too busy to talk they'll tell you.

I actually find that I don't listen to the podcasts that closely. My roommate listens to the same podcasts at his job and actually pays attention to them because he doesn't have to think too much (data entry). I find that it's just a pleasant drone in the background, and if I really have to concentrate on something I just hit the mute button on my speakers for a bit.

I do understand the concern about having a TV in the same room, but you hit the nail on the head. If you put something in you've watched a million times before, it'll just be comforting noise. Don't go out and rent something you've never seen and pop it in.

Although I don't work at home, I do my research pretty much alone (I share a room at uni with a colleague). I can relate to missing co-workers, but I used to get freaked in other jobs when there were people constantly walking in and out the room. But for me, an occasional chat will help (you can use the phone), working with music on helps, ENA helps (hahaha), and even a soft radio at the background can help.

As for correcting your work, would it be possible for you to find people online who do the same job, so you can exchange your work? Do you have co workers at the company who also work at home?

Arwen

Thanks zerohalo, I'll your suggestions out. Hopefully they'll help... I'll be stuck in this work environment for a while, so I need to learn to deal better.

Thank you, too, arwen for the suggestions I have a whole team of co-workers, but everyone except 1 other person works at our home office 1500 miles away. I can't really swap my work with anyone outside the company to have them look it over for property reasons, I just need to be more diligent and not submit things when I'm in a pissy mood, haha. The mistake found this morning was the biggest one I've ever let go past me, so I think that's why I'm as frustrated about it as I am. Typically, I would not really need anyone to look over my stuff... I honestly don't know how this got by me. I know how to do my job, I just don't do it well when I'm feeling down or frustrated about my environment. I'm not making excuses, if anyone asked me about it I'd say I just screwed up... In my heart I just know why I've been screwing up lately and I know I need to stop and get back on track as quickly as I can.

Well, if you can't change anything about the working circumstances, then I think it might be an idea to schedule activities where you need to interact with others. Like sports that involve communication (martial arts or team sports), theatre, a choir, etc. What you miss is the benefit of being part of a team. So if you don't/can't have that at work, then look for it elsewhere. I do my research mostly alone, and it can also get lonely when I am stuck in my thoughts, etc. I moved for this job to a very different area (from middle to north of Holland) so in order to create a social life I joined a new group for capoeira. I find it very inspiring to have this totally different setting where I have to play/practice with others while at work I am mostly on my own. Maybe this is of help for you.

Take care,

Arwen

Yep. Working from home is great and terrible. I work one job from home, the other I go to office. That is ideal because I get variety.

Sorry you are so lonely. Get out more. Go visit friends often. Excercise outdoors, weather permitting.

Also, get your radio rockin in the background. Mine is right now. That helps a lot. E helps to, but be careful because it can become addictive and interfere with work and local social life, thereby leaving you either unemployed, or more locally socially isolated.

I used to work from home all the time. Then I was so lonely that when I went out in public I acted weird, which only made it more difficult. Luckily I get out EVERY day now and go to other job every day. If I'm not to work at other job, I go visit anyway. I've got many friends there and some are babes and fun to look at too.