Ugh! I got rear-ended AGAIN, making this the third time in 3 years. I am still not better from the whiplash injury from the LAST time (I was stopped at a traffic light. Big ol truck didn't notice red light or stopped car because he was busy yakking to his friend. Truck meets car @ 50km/h. Dislocated spine and ribs from the force of the whiplash). This time guy in front of me stopped abruptly. I stopped. Person behind me.... hits the accelerator. *BANG!*

I'm scared that my back will act up again. It was finally getting better - my ribs and neck were finally "fixed" and my back was getting there. I'm already feeling a bit achy in my head, neck and back, and I am scared that they are damaged again. And I am scared that my insurance will refuse to help because I had settled for the LAST injury.

Just a rant, I guess. Would appreciate some reassurance or tips to handle this...

Hi Aurian,

Gosh, you haven't had the best luck driving, have you?

Girl, if you are feeling woozy, you might consider having a friend drive you to the ER to get checked out before the morning. I have a friend who was rear- ended last year and refused an ambulance... by the next day he was so stiff (and has a neck injury) and he could barely move!

You can't be too careful these days with your neck and back- especially with these types of collisions.

Don't really have anyone to drive me, and don't think I am bad enough for an emergency. Even the bad accident I could still move okay, just hurt a lot all the time. And this one didn't have the same "impact."

Kinda wondering if there is anything I can do myself though? Hot shower? Throw on icepacks on my back? Go to bed? Its not hurting yet - just a slight wooziness in my head and some new aches in my back.

it isnt too late to see a dotor. as i remember i think you that 48 hours.

Better seea doctor even if you are fineor it is more then 48 hours, IF you dont you have nothing to prove and then you are totally screwed!!

I meant, its too late because the office is closed It happened after work.

Don't really have anyone to drive me, and don't think I am bad enough for an emergency. Even the bad accident I could still move okay, just hurt a lot all the time. And this one didn't have the same "impact."

Kinda wondering if there is anything I can do myself though? Hot shower? Throw on icepacks on my back? Go to bed? Its not hurting yet - just a slight wooziness in my head and some new aches in my back.

I really wouldn't want to recommend anything without you being seen by a doctor first. Sometimes injuries won't present themselves as pain or impairment- or may not show up until you have been resting/lying still for awhile.

Yeah, but its probably not the best idea for me to drive if I am feeling kinda off. I also live alone and don't have any friends within range to help me. Not to mention no phone. I don't feel comfortable asking my landlord to drive me unless it was something clearly serious. So I guess I'll try see the doctor in the morning when the office opens.

Thanks for your concern though, it is appreciated. If I had the accident in the morning, I'd play it safe and get checked out by a doctor or clinic, but as it is, I don't think a bit of lightheadedness and achiness is enough of an emergency to warrent ER and asking people I don't know well to go out of their way to drive me, wait for me and drive me back.

Thanks Hope.

Just an update. I fell asleep shortly after posting, and tried to go to work today. I was still dizzy though and shaking a bit so they sent me home - my mom drove me to the doctor's. The dizziness is starting to fade now, but my back is definitely messed up. The doctor says is soft-tissue damage and there isn't much I can do for now except ice it. *sigh* I just finally healed after my LAST rear-ending. I just told my chiropractor LAST WEEK that I thought I was better and didn't need to go anymore

Thanks Hope.

Just an update. I fell asleep shortly after posting, and tried to go to work today. I was still dizzy though and shaking a bit so they sent me home - my mom drove me to the doctor's. The dizziness is starting to fade now, but my back is definitely messed up. The doctor says is soft-tissue damage and there isn't much I can do for now except ice it. *sigh* I just finally healed after my LAST rear-ending. I just told my chiropractor LAST WEEK that I thought I was better and didn't need to go anymore

That's so horrible, I hope the soft tissue damage isn't too severe this time. Keep us updated... I'm so sorry to hear that that happened

Thanks everyone

I have an appointment to discuss the issue with the insurance next week. Because it was a rear-ending and I have a witness, I hope it won't be too difficult. Both my doctor and chiropractor can attest that I was virtually recovered from the last one, so these injuries are "new."

Yep, got lots of ice packs! The doctor said that other than being careful, I shouldn't restrict my usual activities or exercise since weaker muscles makes things worse. I did go to work, but fortunately they have a really nice couch so I could relax during lunch and coffee with a pile o' icepacks! I also took anti-inflammatories too. My work is really good about giving me time off when needed (I am one of their best employees!), but I don't want to abuse that goodwill.

Nevertheless it was feeling kinda lousy so I visited the chiropractor this evening. Wow, that kinda reinforced that my back wasn't doing too well - last visit, I just had a small patch in my mid-back that needed adjustment. This time my neck, much of my middle back and the base of my spine were all sore (YOUCH!) to the touch and out of alignment! I feel a bit better afterwards though - before I felt like I was hit with a baseball bat or something, but now its just a slight ache!

(doesn't hurt that the chiropractor is cute and single either