LASIK eye surgery . . . have you done it??

Has anyone on this forum ever gotten the procedure done before? Or maybe has a friend or family member that had it done? If so, do you guys mind sharing your experiences? Were you please with the results? Did you have any complications? I've been thinking about it for a while now and I am seriously considering having it done in the near future. For those of you with 20/20 vision, I envy you! You guys have no idea what it feels like to wake up everyday in the morning and not being able to see a thing! I'm gonna start doing some research for potential doctors and maybe try to set up a consultation with them.

One of my past employers had it done and she loved the results. I have been considering it myself so that I can ditch my contact lenses.

From the reading I've done on it- my only concern is whether the results actually LAST, or if your eyes will return to their previous state in 10 or 20 years. I'm holding off until I see more longitudinal studies over time.

BellaDonna

One of my past employers had it done and she loved the results. I have been considering it myself so that I can ditch my contact lenses.

From the reading I've done on it- my only concern is whether the results actually LAST, or if your eyes will return to their previous state in 10 or 20 years. I'm holding off until I see more longitudinal studies over time.

BellaDonna

As far as I know, it lasts a lifetime, unless you get cataracs (not sure of the spelling) or something like that when you get older.

I think my only setback is that I have astigmatism, and I've heard that the procedure may not be suitable for all candidates with astigmatism. I just had an eye exam done for contacts not too long ago and I casually brought up about the LASIK idea to my optometrist and he actually said that I may have a chance since the procedure now is so much more advanced than when it first came out. I guess I will have to see what they say during the consultation. I've also heard that for some people they were able to see 20/20 afterwards, but some people, even with the procedure done, they still may not have 20/20 vision so they might still need some sort of light prescription glasses or contacts to correct their vision.

Here's a link that might help: link removed

It appears that the amount of time the results last depends on the kind of vision loss you had. I'll be keeping a close eye on the literature (corney pun intended) before I get the surgery but it does seem like it would make life much easier.

I'm slightly nearsighted, but using contacts every day feels like a major pain. There's nothing worse than waking up each morning and having to put a cold contact lens in my eye....and then there the beach and other places where contacts tend to get irritated. I love contacts over glasses, but I'd like ot give them the boot too.

I'm pretty sure I'll give in and get the surgery one day,

BellaDonna

Hey there,

I have a friend whom did it and she loves that she had it done. She had a slight issue with her right eye and she had to go back. But she is fine now.

I too wear contacts but I am not at the point where wearing them is a hassle. I wake up, take a shower and pop them in 3 seconds. No biggie. I do however, hate wearing glasses. I too have astignitism. But it has gotten better since my last eye doctor visit. My only reservation about doing Lasik is the long term consequences of doing the prodecure. Sure, everyone loves it now and the results are amazing, but what is going to happen 10-20 years from now. There is no long-term research done on it as yet. I think I will wait.

My boyfriend had it done a few months after we started dating.

It went great - he had to get a more expensive procedure done as he has large pupils so there was a different program for that but it was well worth it (if he did not it would of led to chance of those halos, etc). For the first month he had to put drops in a LOT, and then for the next few months his eyes would get tired more easily, but since then he has been great, and has perfect vision...it was better than 20/20 for a while but has balanced out now to be 20/20 and has remained stable for the last year and a half or so.

You should only get it done if your vision has stabilized, and it is not permanent in sense they cannot guarantee you will never have vision loss. Depending on your own self, you may still lose vision as you were before, or of course just lose it due to age in a few years.

For him it was a great option, because he is very much into sports particularly adventure racing and mountain biking and such in very dusty conditions sometimes, and it was not only painful to have contacts or a nuisance to have glasses, but it was difficult to be able to take them out, etc. He loves it so much better now, being able to take naps without worrying about them, not having to go take them out or put them in, not worrying when we go away camping, etc.

My only complaint is that in the process he lost the natural "soft focus" he had of me that removed my imperfections