Getting help for anxiety

Hi all,

As you can tell by my number of posts, I'm new here. I actually joined to ask about a different problem, but the many insighful responses I've read on this forum have caused me to stay.

At any rate, I wanted to ask what I could potentially do to alleviate my anxiety. In doing my own research, I've found that I exhibit symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder (i.e. I freak out when my routine gets switched around, and I can't get to sleep if my slippers aren't by my bed). Also, I exhibit symptoms of anxiety, such as sudden panic attacks, constant stress and worrying, and a general mistrust of everyone I come in contact with.

I'm posting about this because I feel that given my circumstances, it's almost impossible for me to get professional help. This is due to the fact that I have serious problems opening up to people, and I have such an extreme need for privacy (so much so, in fact, that on days when I'm feeling particularly worried, I won't give my real name when meeting new people). Having turned 18, I could go to a psychologist/therapist, but like I said, I just can't open up to people. Also, being in college, I don't have the money to pay for an appointment (I could ask my parents for help, but then I'd have to tell them about the problems I'm having). The only person I've ever truly opened up to is my girlfriend, and even that took awhile. While she has been quite supportive, neither of us can think of a way to fix this situation, and it's causing severe disruptions in my life, as well as stress in my relationship. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Hi, there! Welcome to eNotalone. This is a great first step in learning how to open up a bit, because it's an anonymous forum, and yes, for the most part you'll get a lot of insightful feedback here.

Now...to address some of your immediate concerns...I get the sense you are actually open to the idea of getting professional help, but you're worried that your tendency to clam up and be a bit distrustful will prevent you from getting anything out of it.

Can I just tell you I used to think the same thing about myself, until I went to see a therapist for the first time? She practically had to push me out of the room once my session was over! I couldn't stop talking, it was so liberating! Seriously, these folks really understand that most people feel very awkward when they first visit a therapist. They know how to make you feel at ease and ask the right questions, in a gentle manner without freaking you out. What's more, they are under professional obligation to hold the strictest standards of confidentiality. In other words, you're in a safe place there.

Give it a shot. Worse comes to worse, it just doesn't work for you. No reputable therapist is going to insist you talk to them.

Oh, and you can get free therapy at most colleges. They have counseling services expressly for that purpose: for students with little or no income.

Scout:

Thanks for the advice You're absolutely correct, if I could talk to a psychologist with no strings attached I would do it. Opening up to the actual therapist is just one part of it though, and is actually easier because they are bound by a law called HIPAA to very strict medical privacy. I guess what concerns me more is that I'd have to sit in the waiting room, where people could see me and potentially identify me, and then I'd have a file made about me, where people such as nurses could see it and access it, and if I went to a school counselor, there might be a way for administrators at the school to know I sought help, etc. Even as I'm typing this, my pulse is rising as I get nervous about the trust I'd have to place in others to get help.

Hello and welcome.

I used (still am in some situations) to be like you. I would never see the same person more than once - hairdresser, doctor, banker, etc. I can tell you that therapy may do you some good. It might help with the paranoia (because that is what some of this is). Just getting it out in the open - such as on a forum like this or in a counsellors office - can really be liberating (like Scout said).

Like Scout said as well, your campus heath centre should have mental health services (like counsellors, psychiatrists etc). Everything will be confidential... no one has access to your file. I know my psychiatrist actually keeps my file in her office. She updates the centre's files as to my medications (just so they have that on record) but anything else is kept in a separate file and in her office so no one else has access to it.

I understand the paranoia, i understand the anxiety, but the only way it will get better is by taking steps towards making it better. (says the girl who just came home from her first ever GAD group session).

It is a free 6 week session our health district puts on periodically. It is for people who have been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder. They are going to teach us how to control our anxiety and work it down. So far I have learned breathing exercises and muscle relaxation (things I already knew) and making "worry time" (an exercise that isn't helping me much, yet). We are going to learn and practice some cognitive behaviour therapy and a few other ways to control and reduce anxiety.

I am always up for new ways to work with these problems, so i figured it could only be a good thing

gfein, you can talk to the counseling center about your privacy rights, what would be disclosed, under what circumstances. Bottom line, no one will know what you're doing in that waiting room...you could be a writer for the school paper doing an article on campus services, for all they know!

I'll tell you something, though...there is no shame in seeking therapy. It's practically a rite of passage these days! I would admit to anyone I've had therapy. I know who I am, I know I've got a good heart, and I'm not ashamed that there were times in my life I got stuck and needed some professional "unglueing."

Same goes for you, friend. Don't ever be ashamed of being courageous enough to address your issues.

I forgot to add that when you breathe in and out, to do it through your diaphram (when you put your hands over your tummy, your tummy should expand outwards when you breathe in). Our normal breathing motion is 'up and down', but you must learn to breathe 'in and out' so that you are not filling your chest up with air, but rather your stomache.

I was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder with depression. I used to always have anxiety attacks. At first one a day, then gradually 5 or 6 a day. I became depressed and it really was a turning point in my life.

Here's my advice:

1) Don't self-diagnose. I know it's easy with the internet but the reality is that you're not a professional. Let the professional diagnose. It takes more than a little research to know what's really going on;

2) Look into counseling services at your college or university. They usually have some available and generally low in price;

3) Once diagnosed, read up on it. Find online communities dealing specifically with the disorder (if you have one);

4) When you feel an anxiety attack coming on, breathe. Imagine a safe, happy place and concentrate on that. Keep taking long, deep breaths until you have calmed down. An anxiety attack is your body going into "fight/flight" mode. It thinks it's in danger when there's nothing to worry about.

Remember that many psychologists invoice on a sliding scale. Ask some of them if they can lower their prices.

I hope this helps a little bit. I know you said that you're a private person, but you need to talk to someone. That was the only thing that helped me.