Need advice for a new graduate

I need some advice about getting into the financial sector in Canada. I'm currently completing up my last two semester to get my Business Admin degree. I've been sending out resumes... semi-aggressively as I'm still trying my best to pull my marks up in my final year. I didn't do so well in my second year of studies and had a few bad marks so I'm trying my best to pull my average as much as possible. It looks like I'm going to graduate with about a 3.1 gpa. It's decent but I'm starting to feel like it's not good enough to get me into the financial sector (and if you're in Canada - yes I'm in the double cohort year ) I'm also working on my Canadian Securities Course at the moment. I'm not interested in the i-banks. I wanted to get into a credit analyst position but I haven't had any luck in those areas. For those who are familiar with this industry, do you have any tips and suggestions for me on how to get into this sector? Are there certain things they are really looking for in candidates and what's the best way to market myself to this industry?

In a lot of cases, experience is essential. You might have to start out at a lower position for a year, then work your way up towards the analyst position. Get some financial experience, whether it be at banks, or credit companies, and once you get a year under your belt, your chances of landing a analyst position is much better.

Just apply to every single place, make sure your resume and cover letter are critiqued by career counsellors. If you have an awesome resume/cover letter, then getting an interview should be easy. Now the most important part is the interview.

While I'm not in Canada, those are perfect questions to bring up in an informational interview. Try to find contacts in the industry and set up "informational interviews"... where you are asking people for advice as opposed to a job. It's a great way to get answers to your questions and network at the same time.

Make sure your resume IS decent. So many people make simple spelling and grammar mistakes, or put too much on there, or don't have enough.

I used to work in the financial sector as well, and also had my CSC and all, and the main thing is to just present professionalism and really it is about selling yourself to an employer. The resume HAS to be able to get you in the door for an interview...and that is where most people falter. Get some critiques of your resume from professionals if you can and work on that.

If YOU show them you are ashamed of your grades, they won't see confidence...so don't do that. Show them your grades are not the ONLY thing you have to go on. Ultimately in any business, how you "fit" into the company and the job is more important than graduating with honours.