Old friend, new flame?

Today, I got a correspondence from a friend from high school (I am 24 now) that was pretty innocent, just a "hey, how's it goin'?" sorta thing. But it was weird because yesterday I was cleaning out my apartment (moving in with my gf soon) and I came accross an old notebook of poems that I had written, and one in particular that I had written about her kind of caught me. Granted, this was 6 years ago and I wrote about several girls those days, so I laughed, crumpled it up, and didn't think anything more about it. but then, literally out of the blue she contacted me today. Too weird.

I don't know if its just the amazing timing or what it is, but I find myself thinking about "what if" and "maybe if..." sort of thing. I love my gf more than anything right now, but I have to admit, I am intrigued at the "old friend suddenly appears and romance ensues scenario."

I guess I'm asking people what they think about this. Does stuff like this happen? Is it just a weird coincidence? Should I forget it? I don't want to mess things up with my gf, and she's the type who can read me like a road sign, so I can't let my head get too into this.

Thoughts?

You don't love your girlfriend "more than anything." There is in your mind the possibility that there could be something better out there. That your friend contacted you so soon after you thought of them doesn't have to be a sign of anything, but your reaction is very revealing.