A little confused. Does my best friend like me, or not?

Me and this girl have been best friends for a couple of years and a few months ago I started liking her [as more than a friend]. I ask her if she wants to go to The Pavilion (an amusement park) and she says 'Yes' and starts talking about how we should get all day passes so we can come and go walk on the beach, go have lunch, and come back to The Pavilion. When we get there she mentions how it sucks that one of the rides is out of order and says that we could have gotten on it during at dusk because it has a clear view of the sunset over the ocean. A few hours later she says that I am the only person she would have gone out with because I respect her so much.Later on in the night she says mentions she doesn't want to be in a relationship until she graduates high school (this year) because she doesn't want to be in a relationship that might end shortly after graduation. I ask her if we could get together after graduation and she says 'If your still interested'. Then she says that it doesn't mean that she won't date. When I took her home she said 'Thanks for being such a gentleman' and kissed me.A few days later I found out that I was going out of state for a week and asked her if she wants to go to a movie the weekend after I get back. She says 'Yes' and that I better write to her while I'm gone. The Friday before I leave (after school) she hands me a note, smiles and says 'Now you have to write me back'. We talked almost every day while I was gone and I did write back.When I got back her mother was sick so she couldn't go to the movies with me.A month later I ask her out again and she says she is busy then. The same thing happens repeatedly. I eventually mention that I feel left out because she hangs out with her friends and not me. She says that she is sorry and that if it makes me feel any better that she isn't seeing any other people. We talk later on the phone and she says that she never knows when she has a free day, but once she does she will let me know and reserve it especially for me.What makes me confused is that it seems like she pays more attention to her other friends than me. And it makes me feel worst because we are not 'together', we are still friends. Also, whenever it is just me and her (which is pretty rare) when she hugs me she holds on to me for a little while, like we would if we were together. But when other people are around she just gives me a quick hug (although a couple time we held eachother and would interrupt, that might be the reason)I'm a little confused about her. I would really appreciate any replies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, it sounds as though you're really missing her. At the very least she sounds like a good friend to have. Best thing to do is respect her wishes and not pressure her into doing anything. Phone her up and talk about how you feel to her, but try not to dump all your feelings on her. You don't want to smother her. A good thing to remember is that she respects you and knows you respect her, like try not to think of your mutual respect as something that needs to be continually maintained. Also, don't assume that her actions (regarding her not hanging out with you so much) are necessarily a reflection of something you have done when you've been around her in the past.

You might need to do some forgetting in order to do some remembering. What I mean is, the last thing you want to do is forget her right? So how about hanging out with some of your other friends for a while? And then, on those occasions when you do get to spend some time with her, you'll then be able to readily acknowledge that such time will be all the more special, and indeed, memorable. So when you reflect back on your time together, won't it be the quality rather than the quantity of your encounters that really matter in the end?