Are these 2 Books good?

ReadyorNot

Hi Everyone!!

My husband and I are going to start to try for a baby in January.

I was thinking of getting these two books when I am pregnant:

Your Pregnancy Week By Week

What To Expect When You Are Expecting

If you arent sure what books I am talking about I could look them up and tell you the Authors.

Anyway, I can get them right now for about $17 each (taxes in and delivered to my door).... but maybe its silly to have them long before I am pregnant.... I basically just wondered if they are decent books that are helpful etc etc.

someone bought me the whole what to expect series when they found out I was pregnant, it was great

what to expect when you are expecting

what to expect the first year

what to expect the toddler years

great!

also, if I might recomend "The Girlfriend's Guide to pregnancy" it's helpful and funny and awesome and great!

Yeah they are good books. I think the majority of pregnant women have them in their personal library. And no, it's not stupid that you get them now. January will be here before you know it, and these books also give you advice on what to do to prepare your body even before you're pregnant. Very wise, indeed.

Oh by the way, I've heard nothing but complaints from women who were pregnant during the summer...especially as pregnant as you'd be if you conceived in January. Something to consider I guess, if you haven't already.

Anyways, good luck!! I wish you the best! Keep us updated, you can join the pregnant club!

What to expect when you're expecting is awesome! Its reliable and honest and covers probably everything you will want to know. I like the month by month pictures too they remind you what you're getting sick all day for (kidding...kind of). I believe they have a section on getting pregnant and fertility also. Good luck!

I've heard that those were good, and I've also heard great things about Jenny McCarthy's pregnancy book:

link removed

If you don't mind a little harsh language, it tends to touch on topics that the other books don't dare to address- but that you'd want to know.

BellaDonna

Thanks for all of the great feedback... Im very excited!

hehe I have heard many complaints about pregnancy in the summer also... the reason that we arent starting right now is because my husband is in the military and he is doing his training. He is only allowed 3 days off in the 17months of his course. He wants to take some time off once the baby is born, also we would have a big move (possibly accross Canada).. I would rather be still pregnant rather then have a newborn. I actually just heard that if you have (your wife) a baby while on course they FORCE you to take time off which automatically gets you recoursed. That would really suck, especially if he was near the very end.....

I doubt I will get pregnant right away, i am only going off my birth control in December. That still means I would be pregnant over the summer but is it as bad if you are under 6 months pregnant during the summer?

I might go an order the books now.. thanks again.... hubby says I can get them now if I want to... as long as I promise to read them when I need them (i have been known to get a book or two and then never read it and just give it away)

Am I the only one who hated What To Expect When You're Expecting? It was like a worst case scenario handbook - simply terrifying. If you do get it, please don't read it straight through - use it as a reference ONLY. It lists everything that could possibly go wrong with a pregnancy and you just don't need that stress.

My favorite book was The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy by Vicki Iovine. It's funny, informative, real, and honestly like reading a guidebook from a girlfriend. And not at all like reading a horror novel. I just loaned it out to a pregnant friend, and she loved it as much as I did.

Hey, A day after I posted this message I met up with some girls (I recently moved to a Canadian Forces base with my husband and met a bunch of other military wifes)... anyway I asked them about the books and at least 3 of them said do NOT get "What to expect when you are expecting"... they suggested a canadian book called "The Mother of All Pregnancy Books" By Ann Douglas... she also writes a book about the first year and even the toddler years.. I plan on getting them all... but I have to wait, I found out new versions are out in Spring of 2007... I got a copy of the pregnancy one but I still plan on getting the new ones...

Thanks again!