Can Marijuana cause Depression?

The few people that I do know that smoke pot have some kind of despressive issues going on.

They claim weed makes them feel better, but for how long? I suspect these individuals would need to stay high 24 hours to be truly happy.

Probably should just find alternative (non addicting) ways to deal with depression. I'm sure they would save a lot of money anyway.

Coming from someone who has several members of her family addicted to pot for many years....it can trigger ALL kinds of mental problems, depression and anxiety are the gentler examples of what you can expect.

It is psychologically dangerous, dangerous stuff.

My sister is a long term smoker as is my dad, my sister has depression and my dad has bipolar, so there ya go.

I would go as far as to say if you can't convince him of the need to get off this stuff you should get out of the relationship because it will start to really effect you negatively as well, being around someone who is depressed/unmotivated/boring/paranoid all the time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

interesting, after reading some of these replies..

marijuana is a depressant because of the state it leaves you in once you have done it. Whether or not it actually leads to depression depends on the person.

Personally. i am feeling the same, lethargic, depressed.

(Although I do have other medical factors that may or may not play into this.)

And i do smoke, everyday. I dont see anything wrong with it, i work a typical 9-5 job and Am still able to maintain stability in my life.

I don't think its helping my situation the way i want it too though, but i do find that the reason I am smoking, is because I am depressed...

I'm constantly feeling as if i have to drag myself in order to complete everyday things. I prefer being alone, and having literally minimal contact with others..It differs from day to day...

I just don't find things or people interesting that much anymore..

*that sounds absolutely terrible*

It differs from day to day...

Which is 1 reason why i smoke...

In a way, I feel better if i smoke but @ the same time it may be another reason why I am becoming worse... so basically i am putting myself into a deeper hole.. ? aren't i.... but thats me !

You can't force your bf to quit smoking, he has to WANT it for him.

otherwise it will be a lost cause and you'll be wasting your time.

If he begins to smoke more because his tolerance is raising.. that may be an alraming factor and you may want to address it..

maybe ask him what he thinks about his smoking from a non-direct approach.

Is there a reason he does it... does he just like it or does it make him feel better ? If its on-going and really worrying you, tell him.

again...using a non-judgmental approach to avoid making him feel worse...

Aside from that, if marijuana, or any drug for that matter, is making life hard to the point were you cannot complete even the most minimal everyday task--then you need to see a doctor because then you literally have a serious addiction that will need to be treated in order for you to resume a normal life.

• 2 months later...
I just don't find things or people interesting that much anymore..

*that sounds absolutely terrible*

That sounds like a very familiar story to me. When I stop smoking though, I still don't find things or people interesting, I'm just less happy about it.

Archived