Hi folks - A good friend of mine is going through a really rough time right now. Since she lives in Virginia and I live in Mississippi, there's not a whole lot I can do for her, so I was thinking of making my specialty, snickerdoodle cookies. It's just basically flour, eggs, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and butter. She is Jewish and strictly kosher, so...

Are any one of those ingredients, or combinations thereof, not kosher?

Do I need to make sure the ingredients themselves are certified kosher?

Are there any days of fasting during the next week?

Thank you!

It's just basically flour, eggs, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and but

Even though those ingredients are perfectly fine, the fact that you will be making them in your dishes which have been used for non-kosher food will make your cookies non-kosher to someone who is very strictly kosher. Do you live in a big city? There are often Kosher cookies in grocery stores (look for a K, COR or MK on the package). If you are in a big city, you can also contact the Jewish Community Centre and find out what kind of cookies you can buy.

Sophie, I am not sure, but what I do know is that if someone is really kosher, they likely would not eat something they know was prepared at a non-kosher house. I guess it depends how kosher they are. The strictly kosher people will only eat out at kosher restaurants and will only buy strictly kosher food. It gets tricky because there are varying degrees of being kosher. To be on the safe side, it is better to buy something that has the kosher stamp on it, or that came from a strictly kosher bakery.

If your kitchen is not kosher, and she is strictly kosher, then anything you bake no matter what the ingredients will not be kosher. Sometimes strictly kosher people permit preparation in a non kosher kitchen if it is double wrapped in foil but chances are she will not know how you prepared it and will feel too awkward asking. If she is not strictly kosher and you use just dairy ingredients that might be ok but since this sounds like a surprise I would purchase the cookies at a kosher bakery, do not (!) unwrap or re-package them and send them. This is so nice of you!

Well, crud.

I doubt there are any kosher bakeries around me (Jackson, Mississippi isn't exactly the center of Jewish culture ), but I'll look. If not, I reckon I can just hit the grocery store and find some cookies to mail off to her.

I just feel so bad for her right now. She has a heart condition that can pretty much kill her at any point. There's no cure, and it's very rare, so any time she has a spell (not a heart attack, per se, but heart spasms), the paramedics are clueless as to how to treat her. She's scared because she could basically die any day, and I'm scared for her. My universal panacea when my friends are having a hard time is cookies (normally chocolatey cookies, but chocolate + heart condition = bad), but I don't want to send her cookies she can't eat!

Ugh. I know, cookies aren't always the answer, but they're at least a gesture, I guess.

Thank you all so much for your replies, I really, really appreciate it.

I found two places in Jackson that you might try to call. They might be able to help you figure out the best thing to send. They might also have some other ideas for you.

Beth Israel Congregation Office

5315 Old Canton Rd

Jackson, MS 39211, United States

(601) 956-6215

link removed

Museum-Southern Jewish Exprnc

4915 I 55 N

Jackson, MS 39206, United States

(601) 362-6357

(601) 366-6352

link removed