extreme sports...am I suicidal?

After my breakup last year, I was really down for a while (as you can well imagine). I took a trip with some friends last year to Colorado and just out of blue started snowboarding.

After the second day of snowboarding ( I have never snowboarded before), something clicked in my head.........maybe it was the pure thrill................the hard to swallow feeling that you get in your throat everytime you think of your ex- was gone...........like a black cloud lifted. I felt truly happy for the first time in a long time.

Ever since then, I have turned into a extreme sport maniac. I took a trip to Bali and surfed on some waves "too dangerous" for beginners. I have been riding a longboard skateboard on some slopes and emulating surf moves ever since I got back.

I just booked a trip to snowboard on a mountain called Auli valley in the Himalayas. I am getting more and more absorbed in the world of extreme board riding.

I just love the thrill and the pure joy of doing it and women seem to like it when I tell stories and hand out their numbers.

I don't even think about my ex- these days. All I can think of is where I am gonna go for my next ride. Even the women I meet and get numbers from, I never call them...............somehow they don't interest me anymore.

I am starting to question the basic reason for why I am doing it in the first place. I am absolutely fearless like nothing can stop me.

Is this a good thing or bad? should I see a therapist?

can anyone offer any advise?

LOL? Is anything wrong with you? no! oh my gosh! I think you might be my dream man!

I really like people who enjoy really living life, and going out and having fun. I've done adventure sports in new zealand and costa rica, and i know that it's just an amazing experience.

I mean, yeah, laying out by the pool is a fun vacation for like.... 2 hours, but then you need to go out and DO something exciting.

As long as you are taking the precautions you need for the sports and getting the proper training, I don't see a problem. Enjoy!!!

Hey,

I think its normal, you like the thrill and you get joy from doing extreme sports, theres heaps of people like that out there!! I wish I could be one too but Im scared of heights hehe... It would be an awesome way of meeting people too!!!

Sounds like you have one exciting life!!

Thanks Annie! for the nice compliment and the stuff you said . I have been to Costa Rica (Tamarindo) sometime back myself and had a pretty wild time. where did you go?

The most memorable were the hikes through the rain forest and the beaches. I haven't been to New Zealand yet but sometime soon I hope. Have you been to Hawaii? I have been there six times and can't get enough of it.

Your advise is well taken, I do take precautions while riding the mountain or the waves.

Wow! you are an adventure seeker.....maybe in some other life we will meet in person.......you are my kind of girl.

I don't know if you have surfed but isn't it the best feeling in the whole world?

Have you watched the movie "Point Break"? That movie had a great influence on my life. Like Bodhi (Patrick Swayze) says in the movie "its not tragic to die doing what you love".

if you ever feel like chatting send me msg...

be cool and keep it real

LOL? Is anything wrong with you? no! oh my gosh! I think you might be my dream man!

I really like people who enjoy really living life, and going out and having fun. I've done adventure sports in new zealand and costa rica, and i know that it's just an amazing experience.

I mean, yeah, laying out by the pool is a fun vacation for like.... 2 hours, but then you need to go out and DO something exciting.

As long as you are taking the precautions you need for the sports and getting the proper training, I don't see a problem. Enjoy!!!

Depends. You'll be the one to have the best sense of whether this is an exciting, rewarding activity in your life or a way of escaping pain/self destructing.

At the end of the day: are you happy as a person?

Are you putting yourself into any unreasonably risky situations where real physical harm could come about? Or is it 'calculated risk'.

I think there is a real difference btw the two. There is 'adventurous' and then there is 'seeking pain'.

Adrenaline is addictive. It floods your brain, and gets you high. The problem is: if your brain gets flooded to often, regular old activities become 'dead'.

If you don't do something to flood (and the activity must progress to riskier and riskier to get the same 'high'): you will find yourself crashing.

Sometimes extreme risk taking behavior is a mask for an underlining depression. (Offering myself as Example A.)

Whereas I often used goingout-picking-fights and wandering around jumping off of high objects and whatnot - others may funnel that into more socially acceptable ways: extreme sports.

One will get *mostly* negative attention from others, your choice gets people to stroke you.

So which do you think it may be: enriching or escapist-addictive? That'd be a good clue.

Do you still get enjoyment from 'regular' activities or is the risk-taking the only time you feel 'alive'?

I wiped out real bad on first day at snowboarding, and as I lay on the ground thinking, for a second.....I thought that I should quit. My snowboarding instructor told me that the worst part was over and if I choose not to go out again, I probably never will snowboard for the rest of my life and keep wondering "I coulda, shoulda, woulda...."

A little secret: First time on a gnarly slope or wave, I was dead scared. However, the fear of a wasted opportunity was even stronger so I went anyway.

Next time you go on a mountain slope and think "oh God! I can't....." just ask yourself "but what if I could.......what then".

Think of me and my post....hey If I can, I am sure you can too.

Hey,

I think its normal, you like the thrill and you get joy from doing extreme sports, theres heaps of people like that out there!! I wish I could be one too but Im scared of heights hehe... It would be an awesome way of meeting people too!!!

Sounds like you have one exciting life!!