Seeking memorial suggestions

Ok, so here's the thing. One of the issues that I'm continually struggling with in regards to the death of my mother is the fact that I got married almost five months ago and my children will never know my mother. I have gotten a journal and have started to write random rememberances of my mother in it so that my children will hopefully be able to feel they know her through my memories. It's hard to write them because right now the memories are painful but at the same time it is theraputic for me and I feel like I will be glad I did it.

I want to do more than this but my creativity is failing me. What else can I do to create something lasting for my children? I'm fairly crafty and I am not afraid to undertake a project that's going to take me awhile. I'm just searching for some ideas.

Anybody have any good ideas?

I would make a scrapbook, and include pictures, letters, thoughts, etc,

And when you're children are of the appropriate age to understand,

Then you can share it with them,

There are many scrapbooking stores that carry the supplies,

Sorry to hear about your mother,

I am sure that must be very difficult for you,

Hugs,

Rose

Hi there. Just remember a very important part of your mother lives on in you, so your children will know her in that way- just by knowing you.

I think a scrap book is a great idea. If you have pictures you can place them in the book and write the memories you had of that day. You can ask people who knew your mom to write a tribute paragraph about their fondest memories of her or about times when she made a difference in their lives.

I've seen some great movies made just from having still photos too. If you have a bunch of pictures, some photographers and filmakers will put them on video or DVD with music in the background and even edit in some clips of people talking about memories of your mom.

BellaDonna

I agree with the others about the scrap book. Your journals will be great as well.

My daughter is actually doing something quite similar about her father. She is married now, but no children yet. She is already making a scrap book of her father with pictures, letters, etc. I saved all the little birthday and fathers day cards throughout the years that the children handmade for their daddy. I gave those to her and she has used them in areas of the scrapbook.

Scrapbooks are a nice idea. Did you and your mother ever have any traditions just between you are her? If so start those up with your children. Make sure they know this is what you and your mother used to do. Was you mother a good cook or baker? You could set aside her birthday and make it a tradition that you and your children bake her favorite cookies or dish. Celebrate who she was and who she is within you.

Did she have any paticular sayings? Keep those alive in your household.

Hugs to you.

In addition to the above, get some of her friends and family together in groups, put them in a room with picutres or other reminders of her, and have them talk about her. The people who know your mother talking about her will show anyone who views it how people felt about your mother.

I once recorded a Great Aunt talking about my Great-Great-Grandfather. I had often been told that he was a ship's Captain, but I was never sure if that was true. Then she told me how her father (his son) told her about him being able to do their homework, especially math, when they were in school. No matter how difficult the math, her, an Irish immigrant who made hats for a living, could do the problems like they were nothing. Most Irish immigrants of his day were poor and had little education, and those who had education were often wealthy with no reason to emigrate. However, a person who knew how to navigate would learn math. By talking with her and learning a bit, I found that there may be more than just folklore to him being a ship's Captain. You may learn things from your mother's friends or your relatives. Get them together for a party, in her honor, and videotape it.

Having attended a funeral this past weekend, I was responsible for creating a dvd photo slideshow of the person who passed. Copies were given to his siblings and grandchildren. These photos were from him as a child, to growing up and graduating high school, his life in the military, and then photos with his children.

I can personally attest that his grandchildren enjoyed it and even though they are young, they will be able to watch it anytime.

I also like the scrapbook idea - if you're going this route, perhaps even her favorite recipe or other things about her would be nice.

I was responsible for creating a dvd photo slideshow of the person who passed. Copies were given to his siblings and grandchildren. These photos were from him as a child, to growing up and graduating high school, his life in the military, and then photos with his children.

Yes! That's exactly what I meant in my last post but Chai said it much better.

I think slideshows like that are a great keepsake and they definitely make a real impact and provide you with a glimpse of who the person really was. A picture is worth a thousand words, and a series of pictures, put into motion and sequence and presented that way is really moving.

BellaDonna