Stuck in a rut - Career/Money wise

Hi all,

I haven't been around here for a while, but I am so confused about my current situation, I felt I needed some quick advice.

Currently I am working full-time as an office manager. The work is fine, nothing great, but I feel comfortable doing my work. The people in the office are ok, a few conflicts, but you gotta expect that with office politics.

I am also studying my degree part-time by correspondence.

I live in an apartment on my own. I am 22.

I feel like I am stuck in a rut and am not sure how to get out!

The money I am earning at the office is hardly enough to cover my expenses. Believe me, I have tried every type of budget you can think of and I just feel like I am constantly moving backwards... getting into credit card debt, debt with my family and my partner and generally getting totally bogged down. It is causing me to become totally depressed, because I am constantly struggling and I can never go out with friends for drinks on the weekend or anything! And I'm sure you all know that, all work and no play makes people turn mental!!

It also turns out that I cannot afford my school books this semester which will probably result in me failing the subjects.

I just don't know what to do... ask my boss for a pay rise, quit my job and find a better paying one or start waitressing at nights again?!?!? (which I had to stop doing because I was burning myself out!)

Is anyone stuck in a similar rut??? Any advice on how to go about changing my situation??

I am committed to changing things... I have already organised to move in with a friend so that my expenses come down.... but this feels like it is becoming an emergency... before I begin the downward spiral into depression.

Help!

Hi--I understand how you are feeling because I, too, have been struggling financially for several years. It's really a tough blow to the soul, and it can lead to depression and intense anxiety, as I am struggling with now.

I think you took a step in the right direction to move in with someone who can help cut down your cost of living. It might also help to know that many people your age are struggling with the same dilemma, and it is nothing you did wrong--It is just the nature of the current economic climate. Our generation, those people who are in the 20-35 age bracket, are now called "The Bouncers" because there is no real sense of job stability (the average time someone keeps a particular job is about 2 years) and the amount of personal debt is high, while the income to cover it is relatively low. Also, a great percentage of people in this age range are moving back home due to an inability to cover the basic cost of living.

A friend of mine was one step away from getting a Masters in Psychology, but ran out of money, is now $50,000 in debt, and is living with his parents. He is my age, 30.

The stress of the cost of living is a serious concern for many young people who are struggling to make ends meet. I will tell you that the only time a middle-class family could enjoy a high standard of living was right after WWII. This was an unusally prosperous time for America, a unique period where a person earning a modest income could do things such as buy a house, raise a family on a single income, and enjoy luxuries like a new car or a vacation, without too much of a problem.

Things have gotten a lot tougher these days, and so manyof us find that it seems we are spinning our wheels and not getting very far; it is devestating to a lot of hearts and souls.

If you can break even these days, that is a real accomplishment.

A few years ago, seeing my work prospects, I decided to take things in my won hadns and try to start a business. I am now working on a pet sitting business, and even though it is slow going at first, the outcome seems favorable to a life that is right for me. I know I will never be rich, but I will be able to support myself and enjoy my job while I am at it.

If you ever thought about starting a business, I always encourage that idea since it gives you a sense of autonomy and allows you great creative freedom to do what pleases you. This day in age, it is hard to come by a business that is run on a small scale, uncluttered by ridiculous and soul-crushing corporate rules and regulations. If you feel stuck in that kind of rut, you might daydream about a business you could run with a friend, or even on your own.

This is not a light matter, and I know how you are frustrated and concerned. I understand. But don't give up hope that something will come into your life and help you out of the routine that has hurt some of your life. Sometimes chance encounters with helpful people will pave a new path for you. This happened for me when I was working at Goodwill, a job that was nice in some aspects, but really rigid with its rules and paid so very little. A woman came in and asked me out of the blue, "Is this what you want to do for the rest of your life?" I told her no, that I wanted to run a pet sitting business. She happened to be a pet sitter, too, and she helped me find the courage to start my business, to believe in myself, and get me on my way.

Sometimes, if we concentrate on what we want, help does come....just when we think there is no hope...

Wow - thanks for your helpful advice.

I would seriously love to start up my own event management business, but have aimed to finish my degree first.

I understand how hard it is to get ahead in this world. Cost of living is constantly rising and the salaries are staying the same... ugh...

I just feel that I am at a cross roads and need to step foot in the right direction. Take care of myself. I'm just scared.