Need Advice on Shy Guys

there's a man that i work with occasionally... he is extremely shy, but everytime i see him, he's always looking at me... i am very interested in him and have spoken to him several times about miniscule, work related things... this has been going on for a week so i took some action... please tell me if what i did was okay!

i am active duty military and this man drills in the reserve component... i was staying over night on the base & he and a few of his co-workers were working late... i went into their office to address a few administrative issues and ended up staying a while... one by one, everyone left until it was just him and i in the office. he started talking to me which was suprising... he is very much an introvert... he had just gotten done working outside for the last 12 hours and he was exhausted, but something had me thinking that he was waiting around until everyone left so that we could talk... by this point, i was frustrated and i really wanted to know whether he liked me... i gave him my number and told him that if he wanted to use it, that'd be great and if he didn't then that's okay, too, but hopefully i would hear from him...

did i do the right thing? i only did it because he is way too shy to have done it himself... any advice?

Yes, you did the right thing, I would have done the same if I like the guy and find he's too shy, though I would have also asked for his number in return. You don't have to keep waiting till he makes the first move and asks you out, you can do it yourself if you want to.

Life would be a LOT easier if it was just more commonly accepted that women can ask men out as well. The old conventions of the one-way-street on the issue have led to a lot of regrets. Men feel like women are uninterested, and women feel like they've failed at attracting men. Its a vicious cycle that can be easily broken if a woman can simply ask a man out.

No one has ever asked me out, so either traditions have me filled with self-doubt or I just fail at life.

Thank you! I'm at work now trying to waste some time I haven't seen him yet, but he's around... I am so nervous... I wouldn't expect myself to be nervous being that I hardly know this guy... Why should I care what he thinks of me? Anyway, thanks so much for your encouragement! I will let you know what happens!