Yikes - is this age diff too much???

would love people's opinion, recently single & have spent soem time w/a man who is 59 & I am 36..........he's handsome, loves to have fun, has a wicked job (similar to my field) & we have a lot in common, however, I just not sure if this could work, he knows this, & if anyting we will remain friends - but what do you think - he will be on his way to retirement while I am just getting started

If you enjoy each other's company, why should age matter? If you're both on 'the same page' about important issues, then age should not matter.

It boils down to how you feel about each other...and how you feel about 'just getting started' and how he's on his way to retirement.

Just as an aside...

My parents had a 15 1/2 year age gap. My dad retired from work at the age of 64 when I was only 7. After retirement he worked one night a week as a doorman until the ripe ol' age of 85. My mom worked as a nurse and just retired after my dad died---20 months ago.

I always felt really good to have my dad at home most of the time. His six older kids (from a previous marriage, that only ended because his first wife died) did not have that...so I lucked out there

I appreciate your responses, it is kind of starnge because his son is a contempory of mine (I'm a bit older) & it was a little weird taking him to my friend's place last night, but all my guy friends knew him (due to his son). Guess I would need to focus on what do I want in life - cause if it's children, don't really think that would be happening w/him..........

I appreciate your responses, it is kind of starnge because his son is a contempory of mine (I'm a bit older) & it was a little weird taking him to my friend's place last night, but all my guy friends knew him (due to his son). Guess I would need to focus on what do I want in life - cause if it's children, don't really think that would be happening w/him..........

True. You need to focus on what YOU want out of this short time called life that we have on this planet. Has the subject of children come up with him yet?

Just as an aside:

When my mom became pregnant my father was absolutely THRILLED.

My father and mom ended up having 3 kids together....my older sister, me and my twin sister (so he had nine kids total )

My mom is only 9 years older than my father's oldest son (mom is 74 and my 1/2 brother is 65!!). And of my dad's first six kids, he's also my mom's favorite

I don't think that the age difference should matter in my opinion. If you enjoy being with him and you two get along great, have a lot in common and have similar ideas about the future, then I would say give it a try and see how things pan out. I wouldn't back off if I were just based on age.

If you enjoy each other's company, why should age matter? If you're both on 'the same page' about important issues, then age should not matter.

It boils down to how you feel about each other...and how you feel about 'just getting started' and how he's on his way to retirement.

Just as an aside...

My parents had a 15 1/2 year age gap. My dad retired from work at the age of 64 when I was only 7. After retirement he worked one night a week as a doorman until the ripe ol' age of 85. My mom worked as a nurse and just retired after my dad died---20 months ago.

I always felt really good to have my dad at home most of the time. His six older kids (from a previous marriage, that only ended because his first wife died) did not have that...so I lucked out there

Hosswhispra you come from a family like mine!

I have three older brothers and the youngest one is 42! I basically grew up like an only child...

Moral of the story being...Age is nothing but a number. My mom maybe a senior but she doesn't look or act it.

I totally see everyones point & never thought that age would matter to me, however, I am not sure if I can get past it - I mean 10 years down the road I would be like his nurse!! Maybe just casual friendship for now, he knows I am grappling with this issue, but I have such a great time with him. yesterday I met him at 5 PM out for drinks after work & we parted at 4 AM, crazy - don't know where he gets his energy from.........if only he were...........

I totally see everyones point & never thought that age would matter to me, however, I am not sure if I can get past it - I mean 10 years down the road I would be like his nurse!! Maybe just casual friendship for now, he knows I am grappling with this issue, but I have such a great time with him. yesterday I met him at 5 PM out for drinks after work & we parted at 4 AM, crazy - don't know where he gets his energy from.........if only he were...........

Just because he's older, it doesn't mean he'll need 24/7 attention in 5-10 years. I mean if he managed to party till 4am, and he didn't need to stop to get his oxygen tank, then I think you're ok. We all know there are vibrant older people and then we also know there are people who start having health problems in their 50s and as they age, are unable to do physical things like they used to.

Anyway, if he's already withering away and you feel like you'll be his nurse and you don't want to be, then just remain friends. I mean, who knows, you may get sick and YOU might need a nurse. The thing is, you never know, no matter what age a person is.

Sounds like you both get along well and that's what matter: he makes you happy. All you can do is give it a shot. And if it doesn't work out, sounds like you could be friends in the end.

"Just because he's older, it doesn't mean he'll need 24/7 attention in 5-10 years. I mean if he managed to party till 4am, and he didn't need to stop to get his oxygen tank, then I think you're ok. We all know there are vibrant older people and then we also know there are people who start having health problems in their 50s and as they age, are unable to do physical things like they used to."

I say give him a chance. You're happy so enjoy it while you can.

I thought my life was going to be ok and didn't have to worry until I was old, unfortunately, that isn't the case. I started being ill with Fibromyalgia Syndrome in 1999 when I was 38 and I was bedridden for months. I progressed to a wheelchair, crutches and then walking sticks. Sometimes I walk around and people think I'm well again but they can't see the pain I'm in. The only reason I can live a fairly normal life is because of the medication, otherwise, I'd probably be back in bed again.

My attitude since the illness began is 'take each day as it comes' and 'there's no such word as can't it's try!'

59!?!?

He's not due to retire for prolly another 10 years! Didn't they move retirement age up recently?

Sheeeesh - My dad is 63 and is "just getting started." I don't think 59 is "old" "too old" or an issues these days. Maybe back in the pioneer days....

In all seriousness, you're almost 40, he's almost 60. I think if you get along, have a lot in common, all body parts work, you're good to go. Enjoy it.

WOW - thanks everyone, it makes me feel better to see everyones' view point, & I feel that I was perhaps being ridiculous....we have so much in common (I'm a Mediator, he's a Lawyer) & he is very youthful...will defintley give him a ring wehn I get home from work tonight....wish me luck & will keep you posted if any new developments - he's taking me to a bbq/pool party w/bands this Thursday night, so looking forward to that & we may do golfing & his lake - way better then just sitting in a pub/patio all the time.