He's not ready for a relationship

I was dating a seemingly wonderful man for the last 2 months. We started bumping heads over last the 2 weeks or so. He was backing off - said he was in over his head and that he wasn't ready for a full blow relationship with me. But he would want my company - he would call me, ask me to dinner and to spend the night. I hestitated and respected myself. We broke things off last night - on fairly friendly terms. He insisted that I was a wonderful person but he just wasn't ready for me in that way. We're attempting the friendship route...my question is, is it possible for 2 people with a pretty intense sexual and emotional history to be friends? I know I'll have a hard time with it at first..but I really don't want him completely out of my life.

sweetheart - i've been in ur position just recently-- and it completely sucks and completely hurts. Im beginning to think that its just anotherw ay of saying i still want to mess around with you, but I just don't want to put in the effort to be a bf right now.. It was for me in my case at least... Im not trying to put you down, just be cautious. If you trust this guy and really think he is straight with you- thats good. but be wise in whatever you do.. And personally, if there is still attraction between you 2, i bet it isnt going to be that easy to be platonic friends...Things will start to happen- u will get lost in the moment most likely..and afterwards it is just painful bc u 2 arent at that same level... if i were you i'd stay away-- But i'm only trying to give the advice that i wish i had took..Instead i got soo hurt and scarred --Sooo watver you do, make sure you r totally okay with the situation...

GL.