It's been one year, Cont'd

I wrote a post last time describing about how I never had a long term relationship and that I wanted to do something for my girlfriend to let her know I care about her. Well I am pretty much broke but I looked for some money and I took her out to dinner and a movie and bought her a rose. It seemed like she really enjoyed it since she thanked me over the night. Well, I'm a little upset and Im not sure if I have good reason. She kept reminding me about the date of our one year and talked it up so I could remember (I have a horrible memory). Well I did all this for her but she didn't even get me anything in return. I mean dont get me wrong, I don't really need or care to have anything, but it's more of the thought that counts. She says she had to study earlier but she plans to get me something soon. I told her I don't really care about all that, because I really don't. I just feel like I did all this for her, dropped alot of money when I didn't really have it and she didn't even get me anything back. Heck, Iv'e been with her as long as she has been with me. Do I have good reason why I should be a little ticked, or am I being stupid and blowing it outta proportion?

Sounds like you are upset because you gave all you had and she gave nothing after gabing about it. I guess sexism is still alive. She's a traditional girl. Nothing bizarre about the situation.

If you want somebody who reciprocates financially, find a girl that is successful, pays her own way(aka Dutch), and doesn't live with her mother. Of course, there are drawbacks there too... she might outpace you.

But in this case it's much ado about nothing. You may feel that you are being taken for granted, and you are. It's part of the anniversary culture- especially in the South. Guys foot the bill. Just be satisfied in what you did. If you don't expect anything in return- then don't expect anything in return. You may just be more sensitive to this because your ducats are running low. It'll only get better. Don't make a deal out of it.

She may have wanted to see what you did before doing something herself incase she went over the top and you didnt. I have friends who do this and I am more cautious now. In my last relationship I bought my boyfriend a bunch of DVDs he had wanted for our anniversary and he took me for dinner and then said "we will skip a starter oh and the mains are large so just order a child's portion....no desert thank you, just a GLASS of wine, not a bottle..." made me feel really not worth it.

My boyfriend now, always remembers its our anniversary by saying its been so many months, when it gets to a year (October) I hope he does something and I will be fully prepared to buy him a gift too but I may hold off until I see what he does for me first so I dont feel like you do now.

Wait and see what she gets for you or does for you in the coming week, but don't worry too much she wouldnt be with you if she didnt want to be.