Auditory hallucinations, any advice please.

I've recently ended a long cycle of narcotic painkillers (~2 months ago)

I'm a big oakland raider's fan (a roundabout way of saying i have a non-functioning eye)

My sense of hearing is very good, i've always protected it and now because

i'm monocular i devote even more concentration to it. Sometimes i'll "hear"

things, almost like im half dreaming- It's usually sounds, like the timing chain rattle my car's been making, or the failing wheel bearing sound it used to make,

but for a year or so now i'll hear voices before i go to sleep, people screaming my name, i know the people's voices, but they dont ever say anything meaningful. It often keeps me from sleep, and recently i heard a voice give me a command, it wasn't one i knew, and it wasn't really a command, it's like she was giving me advice, but her phrase "pull one out" didn't make sense to me.

Is it worth seeking help over? am i just overreacting?

or am i all nutter butter?

I had this happen to me the other day... it was really freaky. I was outside washing my car at a car cleaning place.. and it was like midnight or some stupid time, and I saw some guy walking accross the street. I was sitting in my car getting quarters out to spray my car down and I heard what I thought was him say "Hey you" in a creepy voice... haha. It sounded like someone said it right next to me but it was all in my head because I was scared as hell and there was no one around.

Maybe you could try looking into a sleep aid or try leaving the tv on when you goto sleep. If you can't sleep then it definitely is worth getting help over.

Hey bud,

No you're not crazy However, you sound as though you have a bit of a chemical imbalance, one that is enough to need to be looked at by a professional.

If you 'hear voices', that normally means you may have a mild case of schizophrenia, which sounds a lot more frightening than it really is. If that's the case, they will give you a small dosage of an antidepressant like drug and that should resolve your voices.

The worst thing you can do is leave it be and do nothing about it. Chemical imbalances get worse over time it seems, and without treatment can just make you plain scared later on over the voices and their being insistant with you about this and that.

I realize you aren't hearing voices all day, but you should be looked at regardless. Sometimes I've heard 'something' before falling asleep, but in a dreamlike state. If you are wide awake, laying in bed and hearing this, it is time to be checked over.

You are not crazy! It could also be from coming off that medication? Who knows? Better get checked over!

There are a number of reasons you can hear imaginary voices, and heightened sensitivity to hearing can be one of them. I once heard conversations at night in my house. It turned out to be a hard drive that made some faint sounds resembling people talking. My mind interpreted it as speech patterns for about a month.

I'm sure there are possibilities that a doctor could explore if you can't resolve them. Coming off painkillers can be stressful as well.

Schizophrenia is actually a very common ailment, much more so than we realize. It's also quite easily treated.

Television and movies have made us all believe that people with mental illnesses of any sort are 'crazy' and that they act out in insane manners. So what happens? When someone thinks they have some sort of ailment, they won't get checked out for fear of being labelled (or feeling) crazy. That is the worst thing to do. Leaving a chemical imbalance is asking for trouble.

Go and get checked out by a psychiatrist. They will evaluate you and see if there is a problem. There is absolutely nothing crazy about you It's nothing to be ashamed of if that is the case.

But do see your doctor and ask about side effects of coming off the medications you were on as well.

You might start with an audiologist.

Hearing is a complex function. The sounds don't always make it to the brain in a linear way, and there's lots of room for interpretation. I have a hearing loss that's just enough to distort consonants.

My ex's sister is a schizophrenic, and it's no picnic.

I had no idea it was easily treated, at least not by her doctors.