Personal jokes made by colleagues

I was in a (quite informal) meeting of the whole company the other day. I was sitting opposite quite an outgoing guy who's quite likeable, I suppose, most of the time.

My boss brought up if there was anything to add to something or other, and I suggested bringing something into use.

Before I'd even finished my final sentence, the guy opposite me pipes up something or other, beginning "if you..". I didn't catch the rest of it.

Anyway, it was found to be quite funny by everyone else in the room and one piped up "you thinking aloud there, C?", so I just laughed it off.

This guy's leaving the company soon and moving to the other side of the World, so he can say what he likes and not worry.

I, on the other hand, would quite like to stay with the company and not be an absolute laughing stock. Everyone takes the mick out of each other a bit, but nothing hurtful.

I'm fearful that what he did say wasn't very nice and it kinda hurts me. In fact, it upsets me a bit.

I'm not sure whether to a) do nothing, b) give him the "say it to my face" talk, c) ask one of my colleagues what was said, or d) mention to my boss that "people taking the mick out of others does tend to limit people coming up with new ideas in case they're just laughed at".

It also doesn't help that after that meeting, I had to email my boss about a few things, including taking on a new job that he hasn't seen me do before and happens to be quite important to me.

I fear that he's just thought that I'm either taking the pee or that he's just laughed and gone, "er, no".

Anyone have an advice?

Years ago, I worked for a big corporation, and it amused me to no end to catch an occasional glimpse of a copy of The Art of War by Sun Tsu, as some colleague fetched something from his (yes, uniformly "his".. a guy thing) briefcase.

(ahem.. yes, in a moment's weakness, falling prey to the same illusions as my fellow cubicle warmers, I bought a copy).

So, in the words of the great general, consider this:

"He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight."

In other words, let it go.. nobody ever remembers what you did not do, nobody ever remembers what you did not say.

Yes, you know I had sort of a similar experience in a meeting last week. There's this woman at my work, who has verbalized many times to myself and to others, her jealousy of me and I'm pretty sick of hearing about it. I understand your feelings. But as mmmending said, maybe it's best just to let it go. Figure that you're the better person because you don't have to stoop to having to try to discredit people in order to elevate yourself.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys - I think on this one it is better to just let it go, then.

The thing that annoys me most is that this guy wasn't below me in anyway - everyone's trying to make him stay as he's a 'star' person in the company. I'm just a technical guy who looks after stuff. But, hey-ho, I guess that's like and he's just a * * * *.

Cheers guys.

Perhaps. I'm not as good looking as him, so it's not that! Maybe it's just that I'm younger and I might be going somewhere in the industry, instead of totally leaving it and reaching a dead-end?

Oooh, I suddenly feel so much better!

Perhaps. I'm not as good looking as him, so it's not that! Maybe it's just that I'm younger and I might be going somewhere in the industry, instead of totally leaving it and reaching a dead-end?

Oooh, I suddenly feel so much better!

Yep, it really could be that...lol...and I'm glad you feel better!

To expand, it has been my observation that men tend to have somewhat different value systems as women. Men who have a 'good figure(?)' aren't the one's other men seem to be jealous of. It seems to be more the men with money...in your case upward mobility....things like that....I don't know...not trying to stereotype...just my observations....

I think that makes a lot of sense!

He's a very lucky bloke with good looks, respect, talent, and he's just about to move to Australia with his wife and children. He has a lot that I want.. so I don't know, maybe he's just a twit!!