Slashing the already-dying world's throat

Stinkweed

Lately that's what things look like to me. Most people are concerned with their jobs, with their education. I wish I were as concerned about it as they are... Instead I am worried about stupid pointless dreams: things that in the future won't put any food on my table. I take a look at the world, there's war, hunger, over-population, pollution (global warming). And I just know what the media wants me to know, because there's probably so much more going on, and it's probably worse too. Perhaps we deserve it, because even though we say it was our "forefathers" who started this, it is the vast majority of us who live in the most wasteful way possible. We are the prodigal sons and daughters all of us. Well, enough... I don't usually write poetry, because I don't think I've very good at it, but I came up with this and thought I'd like to share:

Beings of dust

Wretched existence that of the dust beings

They are so hedonistic by nature

No idea what this behavior brings

No idea that here, they've got no stature.

But what is the root of these feelings?

What makes them act in such a wasteful way?

They should be considered less than phlegm

Ask them why they do this - they've naught to say.

It's my generation I talk about

Being one of them makes me want to pout.

I wrote this thinking about how the youth love to look up to criminals. Thinking about how the youth think sex is just done to gain a better reputation. Blah blah blah. I'm feeling awfully preachy today. But where have our morals gone to?