Certain events have made me depressed over the past few months. While I was pregnant, I knew anti depressants were not an option, but now that she is 3 months old and that is over with - I'm thinking about getting on them.

I'll have a good day or a good few hours and something will happen and I just feel down and in a bad mood after just being in a good mood. I'll think of something my husband did or something that just makes me sad. I want to be happy. My husband is trying and I'm trying but I cannot help the bouts of depression.

It ran in my family. I'm not really sure if that matters but my Biological father had some major problems and towards the end, he killed himself on Christmas Day in 1994. He was a mantic depressive and actually killed his brother. I didn't know him at all since my aunt raised me but I believe his whole side of the family just was a little "off'.

Even though these things have happened recently, when I look back, it seems like I've always been up and down with my moods. Sometimes I'll feel sad for no reason. I'm just not sure if Anti depressants will help, but I want them to because I'm to the point to where I just want to enjoy everything and enjoy my 3 month old daughter because she is growing too fast and time is flying by.

I need advice. Do you think I should get started on them? Does anyone take them and do they truly help? What kinds are good? In my last marriage, I started on Zoloft but didn't take it faithfully nor did I like the sexual side effects. I only took it for a week.

I dont want to get stuck on them for the rest of my life but something just has to give. I feel totally sckizo sometimes with my moods. I know i've had things happen to me to warrant depression but I still want advice on it.

I have a doctors appointment next wednesday to talk about this to my doctor. I'm just hoping this would help.

Certain events have made me depressed over the past few months.

Everyone gets depressed sometimes. Clinical Depression is defined as a persistent state of depression with no cause other then a chemical imbalance in your neurotransmitters. I don't think medicane would be right for you because your depression was caused by events in your life, which is normal and everyone experiences it sometimes.

Medicane should be a LAST resort. Try improving your health with excersize and a good diet. Try moving to a new area if you don't like where your at. Find a new hobby. Take a class at school. Make some new friends. Learn how to play an instrument. And if ALL else fails and you are still depressed, then talk to your doctor about what medicinal options you have.

Hope you feel better

Hi SLMitchell,

I would just like to say that I think it is really good that you have decided to talk about this with your doctor. She or he will be able to ask you the right questions and look for the criteria that may suggest a diagnosis of depression.

Your doctor will be able to provide you with the answers and advice that you are looking for.

I would also like to say that if you are diagnosed with depression, it is not your fault. It is a medical condition like any other and can be treated. Anti-depressants do not need to be, and indeed, should not be, continued for the rest of your life.

Medication is not the only treatment for depression, however. Cognitive behvaioural therapy is another treatment that is often used in conjunction with medication.

Good luck!!! Stay strong!! You have definitely taken the right step in goign to see your physician.

I think that spending quality time with your husband and baby would be more beneficial to you.

Seeing you have been through so much, your emotions must be so weary and tired and putting the past behind you and moving on as a family will do more for you than any anti-depressant.

I'll have a good day or a good few hours and something will happen and I just feel down and in a bad mood after just being in a good mood. I'll think of something my husband did or something that just makes me sad.

write a diary maybe to show when/why/where your ups and downs occur. what do you think of that your husband does? why dont you talk about things? and your thinking of things that will make you sad, anti d's cant make that go away, and like someone else said it cant make the events go away, it cant make a problem just disappear. But then as you said sometimes you feel down due to no reason...maybe anti d's could help here. i duno talk it over with your doc, you can always come off them. but if you do go on them, and do anyway, keep a diray, so you can see if they are helping or not. They also take a while to get in your system.

I have taken them now for about a year. i have suffered bad depression, due to problems like no belonging anywhere, being lonely, and a big one for me i have bulimia. the anti d's cant make these probs go away but i was soo desparate at the time.. i would try anything. i dont even know how well they worked. i should have kept a diray which i do now. i went up to 3 a day, but now reduced to one. changes i noticed in myself, i felt more confident, i was a lot more social, i felt hyper at times, i could be up in the clouds one min and down in the dumps the next, i couldnt sleep well and still can't, i felt like i was racing and couldnt relax at all.

maybe reducing them these affects will decrease, i will see how i go. i duno if these things were due to them, but thats what happened when i was taking them.

also time of the month!!!yuck yuck yuck. its natrual to feel down, any probs seem to maximise by a million at this time. i have just brought some vitamins for women ...which contain things like magnesium, zink etc which are supposed to help,

also exercise...getting out in the fresh air...

you have a child and a husband! share and treasure moments with them. and talk to your husband about everything you feel and to friends/family. even see a councillor if you want, but make sure you find one thats right for you. hope you get the support you need and feel better soon .

LOVE SUGAR X