How Much should I be bench if I want to be a feather weight boxer

I Have been working on becoming a boxer for a year now no not backyard boxing real boxing and I am wondring how much the average feather weight boxer benches and if any one has info or can do some research that would be cool

I weigh 122 pounds Im 5'7 and I bench 165 pounds in reps how much is enough

no I dont have a trainer yet to much money

but I do condition myself often

Do you have a professional trainer? A little more info might help people out to help you better.

I'm not a boxer, but I've done some bodybuilding. I would think with boxing the amount you bench wouldn't be as important as the skill/strength/response you would be building.

If you're serious about this pursuit, I really do recommend hooking up with people who have sucessfully gone the path you are going.

something to get the thread going...

I'm not really a boxer, but I did study Muia Thai for a while. Long enough to know I would never be a competitor.

What I found with kick-boxing is the fastest guys were the strongest. You don't want to bulk up, especially considering your weight class. If I was you I'd concentrate on stretching and keeping flexible. Other then that endurance. If you can throw 10 times the number of punches without getting tired, you should be able to pull a victory.

The best thing for endurance is deep breathing exercises. Deep breathing can greatly reduce you RI (recovery index, I hope you know what that means if you're working out.) and increase your stamina.

A quick repetitive jab is better then a slow powerful haymaker. Though like I said, I failed at a similar art, so I'm not the best to ask.

I hope this helps.

What sort of training and conditioning do you do?

If you aren't already, you should definetly incorporate a basic boxer-specific weight lifting program. I have seen many boxers in the gym training.

I could look for more info on that if you are interested.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I can tell by the fact that you asked 'how much should I bench' to indicate that you haven't learned a lot about lifting/strength training yet. That's okay, you're so young and have a lot of time to learn!

By the way, I wish you all the best in this pursuit. It's getting psyched!

Okay, wow, this is really interesting. Keep in mind I don't know a whole lot about boxing!

Google strength training boxers. A whole tonne of stuff comes up.

This one is from a site I consider reliable; and its a good primer/info.

link removed

Man, you need a coach, maybe?! lol. Sounds like you are doing all you can with what you've got, but wow...what a lot to learn and do to become a boxer!

Do you frequent any boxing clubs or gyms? That may be a good way to get solid help. I've found the best way to 'speed ahead' in any sport is to go directly to the pros and those who have been where you are. Saves so much time mucking around oneself.

Sorry that's so little help, but this is a bit out of my league...

Even if you were to ask whether what you are lifting is enough, I wouldn't be able to tell you.

You need someone who knows you and your goals.

Take care.

are you trying to increase your power or your speed? my coach sometimes gets me to wear weights on my wrists to improve my form when i do padwork (which is great - very effective!).

is there a boxing gym near you? you could ask they guys there

I'm an amateur boxer. I mostly weight train and train alone. Do you want strength (powerful punches) or do you want endurance (faster and able to recover quicker, but less powerful). If you want all strength, then bench as much and as heavy as you can. If you want endurance, stay where you're at and do a LOT of reps per set. Personally, I like a little of both. Bench press is also way over rated. I'd rather get all the correct effects of lifting 250 pounds, then being able to bench 400 but having horrible form. Add a little incline and decline press for chest, and others for other body parts. Also, being a featherweight, cardio should be your main focus. Run run run, and buy a jumrope. Jumpropes are excellent cardio plus they enhance hand to eye coordination.