I want to share my story so that anyone, if only one person, can learn from my experience.

The Background:

I am the first person i know to ever go to college. I live in a dorm two hours away from my home. I live with a highschool acquaintance. i never fully applied myself in highschool until senior year.

I recently saw my advisor and left his office in tears. He told me (not so bluntly) that i had wasted my second semester. I took the lowest chemistry (as opposed to the Majors course) because i was uncomfortable with my previous background. I also took College Algebra instead of algebra and trigonometry, because i thought it was a better idea to take them separately (and much easier to build a schedul around).

you may be completely lost at this point, but know this: these classes are basically useless to me. they do count as credit hours, but, in the words of my advisor, it was a waste of time.

I was so upset for the longest time. Everyone (advisor-wise) that i have spoken to has told me that i'm behind. and i've put myself very far behind. i felt so stupid.

But then i realized..that you just take it a step at a time. I'm ok. and i will continue to be ok. That chemistry class will help prepare me for the next. and same for the math. and many other things i took. I'm always changing my mind about what i think i want to do with my life...but i'm 19. how the hell am i supposed to know? I haven't been around to see what's out there for me. i continue to take the classes i think/know i need.

what i don't understand is why they puch freshmen so much. They told me i was "behind." I don't even know what i'm doing in college...how can i be behind? i don't plan to get out in a perfect four years...infact i'm sure i won't. so far everything keeps pointing me to pre-med..so i will most likely end up in medical school...so obviously, i'm not in a hurry.

as far as i know you don't have to rush, and it doesn't matter how long it takes you to graduate.

This applies to life. stuff happens. it takes time to learn. and the best way to learn is by making a mistake. as much as i've thought "maybe i'm not cut out/good enough to be in college" i have realized that it takes time. i can do this. one step at a time. one day at a time. one assignment at a time. one semester at a time. one year at a time. and i'll be well on my way.

I hope that i have help someone out there. By knowing that you have time, and everything will work out in the end. I know i'm ok..and i have a family and friends behind me that would never let me fall.

You don't have to fall either.

He told me (not so bluntly) that i had wasted my second semester.

That is pretty rude of him in my opinion. An advisor should have a more cooperative attitude with their students, not being a **** and criticizing your every mistake. That's just ridiculous. Because like you said, a lot of things we learn in life are from mistakes. I would consider changing your advisor to someone who is more suited to the job. This guy sounds like a total **** and I personally wouldn't put up with someone like that as my advisor throughout my college career.

Having said that, you're right again. How are you behind if you don't know what you want to do? There is no goal. thereforeeee, there is no meter of progress. I would take a bunch of different general education courses at your school and take a year or two to figure out what you want to do. Most colleges have a general education program where you have to take a relatively large set of classes from the natural sciences, social sciences, liberal studies, and often other fields. This gives you a chance to explore a lot of different types of subjects and thus gives you a chance to make a better decision about what you want.

Until then, forget what you're advisor said. I know so many people at my college that end up staying for a semester or two longer than they should. What's wrong with that? I don't see anything wrong with it. If anything, your advisor should be more happy that he is getting more money out of you.

Anyhow, take things one step at a time. Just like you said. Figure out what you want first. Have you been to your school's career center? Usually they have programs set-up for students who are undecided and can help you figure out what your career interests are. But don't let anyone ultimately choose except you. And choose it because you have a genuine interest in the subject. The biggest mistake you can do is choose a major because its jobs pay real well or something ridiculous like that. You will be miserable throughout school studying a subject you actually hate. Similarly, you will then be working for the rest of your life at jobs you hate. Your potential is much greater when you delve into subjects you simply want to study out of pure interest.

Why are we bashing the advisor? Sometimes you just have to tell the truth bluntly.

Why don't you take some time off college and give involved with different types of volunteer work. Maybe work with 6 or 7 volunteer organizations and find something you love doing and which is meaningful. Make connections. Get experience. This will help find direction in your career, and you will find out what you really want to do with your life. For me, I only became determined to go into policing after I started doing a volunteer community watch. I loved it, and I made connections with people who really believed in me and my career choice. Also, try to attend as many career seminars that come to your university. You might find something you like that you have never thought of before.

That's horrible advice.

Continue on college. He knows he wants premed or something med related.

You're fine as you are freshmen. You're still just taking your GEDs. You're not even at your core classes yet. Just continue on your path and remember to take relevent classes that pertain to your major.

On a side note, join clubs and hit on lots of girls. HIT HIT AND HIT SOME MORE

And try not to rack up too much debt. You're doing fine as long as you aren't overwhelmed and are doing good in the classes that you are/have been taking.

Why are we bashing the advisor? Sometimes you just have to tell the truth bluntly.

Because an advisor shouldn't be an * * * * * * * about it. They should simply be informative and cooperative. At least they ought to be. No one likes to be criticized (especially in such a harsh manner) for their every little mistake in life.

i think the summer coarses would burn me out. I am unemployed, so i will spend summer getting a job and logging volunteer hours. and catch up to what? i don't think i am behind. i don't think its all that possible to be behind. and dovetail, i'm with you ^_^ I'd never give up yoga and i'm looking forward to t'ai chi.

• 2 weeks later...

You are not behind...what the heck does that mean anyway? Behind according to whose schedule?

I was under the impression that in the US anyway, most people take more than four years to earn their degree.

Don't stop your college education. It doesn't matter how long it takes.

The goal is not just that diploma you know. I hate cliches, but really in this case it IS all about the journey, the individual growth and maturity and development that occurs as you become more educated and learn more about yourself in the process.....

We are all different! It may take you 10 years to get your degree, but so what?

Don't worry about it just yet. The secret to freshman year is to not be intimidated by others. Most freshman year programs are designed to be hard on students, to sort out the people who really want an education from those who don't. I see nothing wrong with your choice of classes, from what I gather you took less intensive classes where you could actually learn something instead of risking being owerwhelmed in a subject you're not completely comfortable with. The best advice I can give is to keep working and not to give up. Trust me, I was in a five year undergrad program, so I have five years worth of course related horror stories, and I came out with a degree.