He only approaches me when I'm alone

I like this guy Toby and I don't know him too well but he's always very warm when i'm by myself...if he sees me walking alone he'll hug me, talk to me, wave at me. But whenever i'm with a guy friend or guy friends the most he'll do is wave back when i wave at him. Why is this?

And if he gave me a hug even when we still barely know each other, and always stares at me, does that mean he likes me? (he's not the type to hug every girl he sees and my friends also pointed out that they've never seen him talk to girls)

no, he can't be shy if he doesn't know you well and hugs you. shy people don't normally do that.

Not necessarily. You can be comfortable enough with a person to hug them but if other people are around you clam up - I know because it happens to me, even if it's just a close friend and nither of us want any more or anything and its just a friendly hug.

I don't think he's shy. He is however, very very laid back and not the type of guy who would randomly hit on a girl and be like "how YOU doing?"

I understand that it may be difficult for a guy to approach a girl if he doesn't know the guys she's with.....but this one time i was walking with a guy he DOES know and talks to on a regular basis, but when he saw us he looked away...almost like he was hoping we wouldn't see him. My friend told me afterwards that he could sense he was jealous. Was he?

When I'm into a girl, I really want to know her and who she is so I can decide what level of risk I feel this is worth (keep in mind, I'm not talking about testing the waters, but about seeing if she's worth the risk). I enjoy quality time with people, which mean I like to have good quality one-on-one time with someone. If I see her around other people, I'll greet her, see how she's doing, but won't go up and try to start a conversation. I'll do that when I see her alone. It could be he wants to ask you out, but it is not really something he can do in front other people.