It is better to exercise before you eat which is what the majority says. If you have to exercise after you eat, maybe 45-90 minutes afterwards is best. Never right after. And the minimum required time is 30 minutes at least 3 times a week.

thats sounds easy.. thank you!

and thanks to every one else also!

ok you all wrong ita ll depends, but what works for me is to plan exersise after breakfast lunch or dinner after you have let nature call. But i know its hard to do this so eating a banana and drinking a lil water before exersise is very healthy just dont try to eat to much or drink to much is the key. and eat healthy for the love of god and stay out of mc donalds.

I don't think it matters too much. If you work out right after you eat you might feel some indigestion, or get abdominal cramps from drinking fluids. Your body also slows down after a big meal, to digest food, so your kidneys and adrenal glands slow down. The last thing you want on a good run is to throw up all your food.

Is it better to exercise before or after you eat??? and how long should you normally exercise for?

That depends on what you are doing, and what your goals are.

If you are only working out for 30-60 minutes, and your goal is to lose weight, then just make sure you eat properly through the day and hydrate and you won't need to eat more beforehand. A small meal an hour before like yogurt or banana might be good though if you have not eaten for several hours as it will allow you to perform better.

If on the other hand you are doing long term exertions (ie 1-3 hours) then eating before AND after is important, just mini meals which give you some energy. But still keep your daily calories total in line.

If your goal is to gain more muscle, you may also need extra protein after workouts.

As for how long, again depends on your goals. I am pretty athletic, and compete, so have a training program that requires 2-3 hours a day on average. That is a mix of cardio (cycling and running), strength training and flexibility/yoga work. If you are looking to lose weight or just general fitness, you can just work out 3-5 days a week for 30-60 minutes, mix of cardio (which increases your aerobic/cardiac fitness and helps burn calories) and strength training (which increases muscle mass which increase metabolims - it also increases bone density and tones you up).

If you are serious about it, I advise you talk to a certified personal trainer, whom also is educated in nutrition. What you eat is also very important to achieve your goals.

depends on why you want to exercise. if its just to feel good and stay in shape, anytime is good. if you need to lose weight, do it first thing in the morning before you eat.. that way you'll burn stored fat and help keep you metabolic rate high

I don't think it matters too much. If you work out right after you eat you might feel some indigestion, or get abdominal cramps from drinking fluids. Your body also slows down after a big meal, to digest food, so your kidneys and adrenal glands slow down. The last thing you want on a good run is to throw up all your food.

yea thats true and that would suck

depends on why you want to exercise. if its just to feel good and stay in shape, anytime is good. if you need to lose weight, do it first thing in the morning before you eat.. that way you'll burn stored fat and help keep you metabolic rate high

IM TRYIN TO LOSE WEIGHT AND KEEP IN SHAPE..