Bad situation at work. Need help

i work for my family and i have two serious problems. first, my brother owns the company and i went to work for him at his request 5 months ago. when i first started, i could do no wrong. proably because my brother was desperate to get someone to run his office. now, he treats with disrespect in front of employees. i have talked to him about this and his reply is always the same "can't you take a joke". it's crap. i work my butt off for him. my borther gave me a raise (an amount that we had agreed upon prior to me going back to the company) now he expects blood. it's ridiculous. i'm still underpaid for the job that i do.

my next problem. i hired an assistant about a 2 months ago. she's fine but does not like to do certain aspects of the job that she was hired to do. the real problem is that she and another employee are doing alot of flirting. the other employee is married. he comes into the office throughout the day and spends time talking to her, they take lunch together and last week she started staying after work and hanging out with this guy. he works in a different area and has longer hours than my assistant. personally, i don't care what they decide to do on thier own time but, this situation is disruptive. i have brought this to my brother's attention and he does not care. unfortunately, when she slacks off, it falls on my head.

Eve, not sure what to suggest about your brother's put downs, other than tell him you're going to walk the next time he does it (and mean it).

I do think you should have brought the problem you have with your assistant to your assistant, not your brother. Why didn't you?

What they do on their own time could be a problem.

What if this guys wife found out that something is going on, and decided to comfront him at work violently about it. How can you trust an employee who potentially is dishonest in their personal life. How different is it from finding out an employee is a huge heroin junky outside of work?

Yeh, you can control morality, but you have to think about the good of the company.

I would tell your assistent that she's not performing the duties that is expected of her. Let her know what her expectations are.

Additionally I would confront her about the time she is spending with this other employee, and let her know that you feel that its inappropriate, and if it continues you'll terminate her employment.

With regards to your brother, if he's not receptive to listening to your legitimate complaints, I would suggest looking for a new job. He's not being fair to you, and you've approached him on the subject. He is choosing not to respond. You can either deal with it, or take your talents elsewhere. I know what I would do.

I explained that I have a no fly zone policy in my office. It's a small office and it does not take much to through it off. What would you suggest I say to her?

I'm sorry, but I am not clear on what you're saying. Could you clarify what you mean by a no fly zone and "through it off"? Then maybe I could give you some pointers on how to address the problem.

Also, is the issue that she doesn't do certain aspects of her job she is supposed to do, or does she constantly complain about them? If she complains, does she have some valid points - for example, some of these tasks could be done differently and more efficiently?

Even if its the latter, she should communicate more professionally about it. I'll wait from further explanation from you before I offer detailed feedback.

With your bother, if it bothers you then find a new job. You shouldn't be treated like that on the job. You've given him warning, if he doesn't listen then take matters into your own hands and leave. He may be family, but that doesn't mean he can treat you that way and you stay there and take it.

Confront the assistant about your concerns. She was hired to do a specific job, and should be held responsible for those tasks. If she doesn't do them, then she isn't living up to her end of the agreement you had when you hired her. Talk with her and work with her as much as you can, but she needs to be taking the job more seriously. Also mention your concerns about the flirting.

Scout:

I told her that the company has a policy against fratenerzation. When she was first hired.

It's a small office, so it does not take much to throw the balance off kilter. There's alot of strong personalities, including mine. But, I keep things under control by creating a laid back environment and making myself very approachable.

The industry is extremely fast paced and hectic, so to compensate for the stress, I try to keep a very laid back environment in the office. For example, I do not deal directly with the public, so unless I have a meeting, most days I go into the office in jeans and a baseball cap.

I hope this gives you a better undersanding of the structure.

You guys are right about my brother and what I should do. I have let family loyalty distort what I know is the right thing to do.

I guess I just needed to hear it from my wonderful, unbiased friends here. As always thank you for your support and thank God for this forum!

Eve, I see what you're saying. If this policy was made clear to her beforehand, you have every right to expect her to live up to it. I can see that you are truly concerned by her flirtations with the married man in your office, and let me tell you - in a small office, you're darn right that kind of thing can throw stuff off.

Bottom line, your business is where employees work, not where they hook up. I understand you feel torn about telling her what to do on her own time, but it is a situation that affects her work time, too. And who knows how much it could creep into work as their relationship develops (if it does).

I say you sit her down and have a frank talk with her. Tell her you wish you didn't have to do this but what's going on with her and this guy is noticeable to everyone at the office, and that is inappropriate and unprofessional. It's also against company policy.

The one thing I'm concerned about here is if you have to let her go if she continues. I'm wondering if she could come back with a statement, like, why isn't the guy being let go instead?

I'm hesitant to give any counsel that moves into a legal gray area...hopefully another poster can offer more insight there...

Do you have the "no fraternization" policy in an employee handbook somewhere?

Scout:

Again, Thank you for taking the time to help with this. Legally, she's still in the 90 day probation period and he's been with the comapny for 3 years.

I know that it will be difficult to have a talk with her but, it has to be done for several reasons. First, it is disruptive to my office and sencond if this guy's wife catches wind of the situations, I do not need a pissed off wife in my office.

By the way, I did talk to my brother yesterday, laid it on the line and told him the next time he chooses to be disrepectfull, I'm walking. He was very apoligectic and said he didn't realize that the "jokes" we upsetting me that much. So for now, all is well with that situation.

Eve