Is there any couples survive 5 years LDR?

4 years for me. Well it's probably a bit less than 4 years, but it feels like a long time. I haven't seen my boyfriend in almost 2 years. I have no idea how either of us have survived this long.

But talking regularly, whether through texting, IMs, emails I think makes me get through each day. It's tough, but I think if you really have a connection with your significant other than you can make it work.

Hi

Reading these posts are such a great encouragement as they provide real life evidence that LDR for more than 5 years.

In my opinion is all in our mind, whether it could work out or not.

I really have a tough day at office as my colleagues are skeptical of my LDR and ask me to forget about LDR boyfriends.

I really hate such discussion. How to prevent it from happening?

Working at office it is like you have to join the group culture, especially when you are new there.

They force you to apply for credit card, and want to change your hair style and your dressing.

I really dislike it

Guest12345678, yeah I know how you feel.

My familiy hasn't yet said "Oh you should forget him and date someone in person." But my roommate and some other friends say, "Girl, you need to forget about him and find a man here. You shouldn't just wait, you're young and you should date around and see what's out there."

I know how you feel, especially if you've been with your partner for a long time, like me and haven't seen him in longer than you'd like to admit.

it makes me start thinking that maybe my relationship won't work and I should just move on. But of course it also hurts because I really do love and care about my boyfriend and know that if we didn't have immigration or finance issues right now, we would be a whole lot better off.

Only you really know whether your relationship is worth being in. I think people just want us to be happy. Knowing that the person we want to be with is far away and isn't our ideal situation, makes people think that maybe we should find someone in our area to be happy with.

I agree with them and say, "yeah, I know. but it's not like he doesn't want to be here, it's the damn government!"

I mean in my situation, it's not like he doesn't want to move to my city, it's just for some reason the universe wants to keep us apart and make it difficult for him to find a job in the states. So it's not like it's his fault that he doesn't want to commit to me.

Anyway, the best thing to say is just to share that you are aware of your options, but it's hard to find someone you click with in this world and that you're prepared to make your relationship work because you really do love and care about this person.

I often think that it's hard to judge whether you'd say you would choose to be in a LDR if you haven't met someone you really click with. Once you do, I know I'm not the only one who says, "Should I do it? Can I deal with it?"

Don't let other people knock you down. Just try and stay positive because you're the one in the relationship who knows if it's worth it.

• 2 years later...

I'm currently at the start of a LDR. Going on for 2 months, but we've being speaking online for 6 years, since we were 12.

In August, we met for the first time, she came to see family in a close by city for the weekend, so she came to my city, and we spent the day together - it went perfect. That night, we were texting, saying how we now couldn't imagine being with any other person, and she was on about making it a proper relationship, boyfriend and girlfriend. I asked her that I am able to commit, and asked her twice that this is deffinatley what she wanted, and she said yes, 100% this is what I want. So we started going out.

Last weekend, I went to her city, 7 hours away, stayed in a close by hotel and spent 3 and half days with her, from early morning till the early hours of the morning. Again, it went so smoothly, and I lost all sense of reality, and forgot about the distance. This week, she started college, performing arts, she's a really talented singer. And of course, after seeing pictures on her social networking sites, of her with other boys it did get me jealous a bit. There is even one picture of her with a boys arm around her and she has her hand on his, turns out he's bi, so I'm not that bothered now.

We then started talking about the relationship seen in this thread - First email post

]

Second E-Mail post

[code] ]

I don't know if this is going good, or it's going down hill... I really don't know...

I had a LDR which lasted for 8 years - and we're still friends, two years after the split. Compared to some on here, though, it wasn't all that long distance (1 1/2 hrs by car). We did it by scheduling time when we would speak each week, come hell or high water, and getting together most weekends.

The things you need, IMHO, are lots of trust and interests in common. This meant that we had a lot to share when we did get together - we're both very keen on dancing, for example, and doing practical things.

But, yes, they can certainly work!

if you dont mind me asking, why would you have to schedule time to talk during a week, did you not talk every day? and was it the distance that broke you up, or other issues?

No, we didn't talk every day - we are both very busy people who would be out most nights during the week, so we made time when we knew we would both be in, and spend around an hour on the phone.

It wasn't the distance that broke us up, but a combination of things.