I need to let some stuff out

I'm in need of a rant. I just need to set down a bunch of stuff that's been swelling in my head. I'm not even sure where to begin...

...A few days ago, I fell for a girl who's a bit of a friend of mine. I made up a nice card for her birthday. The more I think about it though, I realize that she and I have so little in common and that maybe I'm just crushing. That makes me think even more, that maybe I really do need to always have some object of my affection...

...I recently read a passage from The Third Man and found a particular line especially poignant: "We never get accustomed to being less important to other people than they are to us." Pessimistic though my view may be, sometimes I feel like although people sincerely appreciate me, they did fine without me before they met me and would deal perfectly well otherwise, too...

I don't know...I'm just kind of on an emotionally low hover tonite

I don't know what you two don't have in common. That is, if you know that you disagree on core values then I wouldn't go for it. If you disagree on which James Bond was the best... I wouldn't worry about it too much (It was Sean Connery by the way, everyone knows that!). However, I can tell you unequivocally that, if you know down in your gut that it wont work, it probably won't. If this is the case, don’t ruin a good friendship. I had to break up with a girl just last Thursday. She started out as a great friend when we had different relationship needs she laid down the ultimatum and said that she didn't think we could be friends after breaking up. The kicker in this is that I knew from the start that it really wouldn't work. I knew because I could see that all of these issues were deal breakers. Just double-check your reasons. You know when something's a deal breaker and when it's not.

writing this now with a clearer...sober...head, I have a bit to add/clarify:

It isn't so much a core values thing. In fact, we probably agree on a lot of basic stuff. She and I seem to have different leisure activities. I suppose the only thing that concerns me most is the potential of making things awkward as far as a friendship is concerned. I've confided in two of our mutual friends about my interest in her but explained to them that I was still figuring it out in my head.

One of them even offered to ask her is she felt the same, an offer I turned down at the time. I'd prefer to tell her myself and hear it from her. Anyways, I guess I'm still working on figuring out what I like about her more than the fact that she's cute.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work, actually, I'm not quite sure. Which is why I'm still sorting it out. I suppose the key would be, if I decide I really am interested in her, to proceed in a casual manner so as to assure a stable friendship afterwards, both with her and our mutual friends.