Just Come off the pill

Sugar-Rush

Hey Enotaloners,

Hope you're all well.

Sorry if i posted this in the wrong place but it just seemed the most apt, i don't think i am pregnant.

I can off the pill 4 months ago after taking it for 7 years as the doctor said it would be a good idea to give my body a break and for my body to regulate its own cycle, however ever month since then my period has been getting 2,,3,4, days later than usual, when on the pill my period came like clockwork every time for 7 years!

I don't think i could be pregnant as since coming off the pill i have only had sex twice and both times used proper protection.

Do you think this is anything to worry about? and also, when not taking the pill, do you count your 28 day cycle from when your period actually starts or from when in should start, for example it was 4 days late last months, so this month should i start calling it late from when it should have started or from 28 days after it did start.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks Guys

Sugar XxXxX

Hey Sugar!

I never used the pill but had plenty of friends who have. Your period could be coming a little later than normal because it is your body adjusting to not having the hormones from the pills. Any kind of oral contraceptive or even the patch (which I use ) makes your period come on the same exact day every month, even to the hour sometimes. I think what is happening is completely normal.

And I am pretty sure you should start counting from the day you period does start and not after. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Good for you for using protection.

When you go off the pill, your body will usually return to what would of been normal for it without the pill...remember the pill puts your body into a false pregnancy, and when you have the week off and get your "period" it is NOT a true period. It's just the result of a absense of those hormones again...but you did not ovulate, so it is not a true period or menstrual cycle. It was like clockwork before, because that is what the pill does - makes those "false periods" regular and on time every time. In nature, your hormones are not so "precise" every day and your body will have its own clock.

You should count your cycle from the FIRST day of your period. But remember, you have been on the pill a long time so are used to 28 days...BUT....your own body may be on a 29-31 day cycle for example. Since you have been on it so long you may not even know your natural cycle anymore, which will figure itself out. When you are NOT on birth control, you won't get an exact 28 days everytime, you could be on a 31 day, or 35 day, or irregular cycle. And even if you are every 30...fluctuations are common. You are not really "late" until you are several days past it really.

I've been on the pill for 10 years- and will be going off it in the future when my husband and I start trying to have a baby. Probably sometime at the end of this year. I'm not looking forward to going off the pill- because the "clockwork" it gives you is quite convenient.

I'm going to use condoms for at least 3 months after I come off of it- to give my body some time to regulate itself a bit...

I'm hoping my body will follow the schedule it did before I went on the pill. My cycles were pretty predictable and followed the 28 day routine.

Sugar-Rush, if you don't mind me asking, has your sex drive increased by going off the pill? The one thing I am looking forward to is ovulating again- simply for the boost in sex drive, and also the feeling of WANTING to get pregnant from sex- so having no worries about any kind of birth control...(which is the total opposite of what I've felt for the past 10 years- trying to prevent pregnancy)

BellaDonna

Bella - if your cycle was 28 days before you went on pill, it should go back to that after the first month or two again. Your body has it's own natural cycle it will WANT to be at (just like you can have your own natural body weight, and so forth).

I imagine you WILL feel a boost in sex drive too! Ovulation will do that to you! If you had a higher drive before it, it will come back at this stage in your life anyway. And definitely as you are getting closer to those thirties

I have been on pill 10+ years too....sometimes wish there was a more suitable replacement for me without the sex drive side effects (mine were mild, but still there)....but I may have to opt for something else anyway depending on how my genetic tests for breast cancer come back. I would seriously consider the non-hormonal IUD, though I worry about the increased risk of fallopian tube pregnancies, and heavier periods. Always been blessed with light ones so that is not something I want!

I have been on pill 10+ years too....sometimes wish there was a more suitable replacement for me without the sex drive side effects (mine were mild, but still there

Exactly- although mildly affected- you can still sense that something is not "right". I guess I'm looking forward to having my body work the way nature intended it to- because it's been a loooong time.

(just like you can have your own natural body weight, and so forth).

I think another perk will be that I'm pretty sure I'll lose some water weight if I go off of it. Athough I diet and exercise and I'm at a healthy weight for my height- I can still feel that I retain a lot of water on the pill. I won't miss that part...at all.

Of course this will all be replaced by pregnancy weight, in time- but at least that's for a good cause....and I know I'll lose any pregnancy weight pretty fast afterwards.

I would seriously consider the non-hormonal IUD, though I worry about the increased risk of fallopian tube pregnancies, and heavier periods. Always been blessed with light ones so that is not something I want!

Hmmmm....you might be better off with less invasive measures- but doubeling them up- for instance using both a condom and diaphram?????

It's a pain though -and the pill has us so used to being carefree....so other methods seem less appealing.

BellaDonna

I think another perk will be that I'm pretty sure I'll lose some water weight if I go off of it. Athough I diet and exercise and I'm at a healthy weight for my height- I can still feel that I retain a lot of water on the pill. I won't miss that part...at all.

Same here! I'm in great shape, healthy, toned, cardio queen and weight lifting junkie...and so forth...but I have a feeling that without the pill, I would be just a bit more toned and lean, because of less water retention...you are mimicking pregnancy after all ALL the time right now!

Of course this will all be replaced by pregnancy weight, in time- but at least that's for a good cause....and I know I'll lose any pregnancy weight pretty fast afterwards.

Honestly, as long as you gain only a reasonable amount (for normal weight women about 15-25 pounds) it leaves pretty fast. A portion of it at delivery of baby and placenta, rest pretty fast after. I know so many women whom were back to normal weight within 1-3 months (depending on if they had natural or c-section births due to exercise etc) and back to former body within 3-6. A lot of people just start eating for two FULLY GROWN people or stop working out, which limits recovery after pregnancy. The fitter the pregnancy, the faster you really recover after.

Hmmmm....you might be better off with less invasive measures- but doubeling them up- for instance using both a condom and diaphram?????

It's a pain though -and the pill has us so used to being carefree....so other methods seem less appealing.

I have thought of that too, but honestly....I like the spontaneity too much now, and the idea of going back to condoms (I am in mongomamous r/ship) just is not appealing! I am going to talk to my doctor more about IUD and see if it's feasible for me though...its actually LOWER risk then the pill in most respects these days, despite some bad raps a few year agos, it has changed a lot (like the pill has). It's much more popular in Europe as a great option. I think I just need a bit more info from my doctor about it.

I have thought of that too, but honestly....I like the spontaneity too much now, and the idea of going back to condoms (I am in mongomamous r/ship) just is not appealing!

I know- I can't say I blame you because I'm spoiled in the exact same way. I'm not looking forward to using condoms when I get off the pill- but I want to just for a few months (even though most docs only say wait one month)- because I don't want to try to conceive until all of the hormones from the pill are out of my system- and my body is somewhat "back to normal". I don't like the barrier condoms puts between my husband and I, either. It's hard to go back to them if you've been without them for so long.

Of course if I were not in a committed relationship, then condoms would be a definite (just in case anyone else is reading this and trying to come up with an excuse not to use condoms- use them!).

BellaDonna

Of course if I were not in a committed relationship, then condoms would be a definite (just in case anyone else is reading this and trying to come up with an excuse not to use condoms- use them!).

BellaDonna

LOL, same here....USE THEM! And I would add if you ARE in a committed relationship, but still not ready for an "oops" or have differing ideas on what you would do if there was a pregnancy, use them in addition to your pill, etc.