I was watching Angle tonight (awesome series btw) and heard some wise words. This isn't an exact quote but it's close enough:

"If you keep running in place you'll never catch up with them but if you move on you might catch up with them someday."

I also wanted to share something. I don't know if this is the best place to put it but there was a point in time that I wanted desperately to get back together with this person. He absolutely broke my heart. He ended things through an email after over 14 months together and still to this day I have no idea why. One day things were fine and the next it was over. I cried every day for eight months, cried for the last time three years later but I don't really know where that came from. I would have cried and begged for him but he didn't give me the chance. No Contact.

ANYWAY.. I found an old friend from highschool on myspace and she has my ex as one of her friends. I couldn't help it and I looked at his profile. It didn't hurt me. At one point in time it would have but now.. I remember I loved him but I don't remember why. I remember mostly how much he hurt me, I just don't feel it any more.

I thought for a second that I would send him a message, just to say hi. And then I decided I would not. Why? There's no reason, not one. It's been NC for about 5 years now, a little more I think and I can't think of one good reason to break that. I'm actually kind of bothered at myself that I wanted to send him a message.

I don't really know what my point is. I guess that NC is the best way to heal though hopefully no one else here will cry for eight months. That even though you feel at the bottom of the world it really does get better. So much better, I promise. That sometimes they do come back and sometimes they don't. And the only way to know for sure is to move forward. Don't get stuck like I did.

That quote makes a lot of sense to me. My dad has been telling me since I broke up with Jeff...that I will never be with him where we are now...that if we are ever going to be together again...it will be later in life, down the road, after we have both learned things, matured, and moved on. When we broke up, Jeff continued on his path, and I just broke down completely. My dad always said...Erin...you will never meet up with him at this same place again, you have to MOVE ON with your life if you EVER hope to reconcile with him...you have to cross paths again at some point, and that will never happen if you are standing still waiting for him to come back. My dad basically told me that I had to move forward, I had to catch up with him...I guess we will see if it works one day. I miss him...it's so hard moving on without him, but I know I have to. Things will happen the way they are supposed to...regardless of whether or not you move on...so I supopse you might as well move on right?

Your dad's a very wise man!

Yes, moving on is vital - it makes you stronger and more rounded; even if you don't manage to rekindle the relationship your world won't fall apart. After all, you've learned to become self-relient and love yourself for who you are - so your dad's right, never stand still.