My ex and I have been broken up for a year. We have maintained a bit of a friendship / working relationship over this past year. Well, one evening about a month ago I asked him to go out to see a play with me that he's wanted to see. We had a good time and got caught up talking about who we've been dating, and what else had been going on in our lives. At the time, I was not dating anyone and he had been on a couple of dates with a lady.

Long story short, he approached the subject of us having sex. I said that although I really really wanted to, I couldn't outside the context of a relationship. We hugged and said goodbye.

After a semi-sleepness night, I called him up the next morning. I said that I didn't have the courage to tell him that I would probably get my hopes up if we did have sex that night. But if he would be interested in dating me again, I'd be open to the idea as long as we could take it slow. And I asked him what he thought would be standing in the way of us giving it another shot. He said he'd have to think about it and get back to me.

Over the next week, I called him twice and left him messages saying that I was thinking of him and that we didn't have to talk about my question to him right away. He has not returned any of my calls, and it's been a little over a month.

One of my friends works in his building, and the ex knows we are friends. He stops by her office to visit from time to time. Not once has he asked about me. And he just hired one of my interns that he met through me to work on his show. And he inquired about hiring someone else who works with me. Not one word to me from the ex still.

So, I guess I got my answer. I suppose he isn't interested in dating me, or in having a friendship any longer either. I get behind in returning phone calls sometimes, but not for a month. In my head, I gave him two weeks to respond to me, and if he didn't, then there was my answer. I would have respected him more if he didn't take the chicken-split way out by ignoring me and my calls.

The good news is that I've met someone new. This someone new is so wonderfully amazing, and I can see a future with him. He is much more affectionate and open than the ex was, and we can laugh and laugh and talk for hours. It's so free and easy and fun. And I wouldn't have been in the space to have been available to date if I hadn't been ignored by the ex.

I'm still thinking about the ex. I miss the friendship. I miss the romance we had. But the feelings are getting less and less every day.