Child Abuse Survivor <Mod Title>

My problem with speaking has now intruded into my conversations with my best friends. They took me out for my birthday and when we went back to one's house for cake and ice cream, for a while I could speak normally; and then the friend who's house we were at asked me why I was shaking so much and I told her that's how I am right now. I then was trying to tell them something, and then got stuck on a word and couldn't think of it, and from then on I had a hard time speaking to my friends. Thanks for letting me post here and write what I need to write. I'm sorry I'm so scared!

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks, I'm resurrecting this topic to give you all an update on my situation. I have now seen the psychiatrist once and my counsellor twice. I like both of them, and think I can work with them. My counsellor has referred me to Case Management and I have a case manager coming to see me on Friday. The psychiatrist told me that I have major depression that is fueling the anxiety that I feel, and that as soon as the anxiety is controlled, my speech should go back to normal. Just thought I'd let everyone know how things are going with me. Thanks to all who responded.

Hi Taffy ---

I know that I'm much younger than you, however, I'm very sorry that those things had to happen to you. You seem like a very sweet person and I dont think you deserve any of it.

The truth is, these things will follow you for the rest of your life, though it seems hard to accept. It will be very hard for you to be intimate with men, to trust people, to forget anything that happened.

But, there is hope yet! Therapy is a very good way to tell people about your feelings. Depending on your personality you might not want to get a therapist who pushes you to do any drugs of any sort (anti-depressants and the like) because they actually DO NOT WORK and contain harsh chemicals in them that can hurt you in the long run (such as short-term memory loss and a few that even contain the narcotic speed)...

Um anyway, while it will be very hard to get over what happened, my suggestion to you is take it slow. If you find a guy you love who loves you in return, he will understand that you dont want to do something right away. He will accept you for who you are, think you are wonderful and beautiful and will want to be with you no matter what.

It's hard to find that man, though, i understand.

I don't really have a lot more to say, and I'm very sorry... I hope you feel better, i hope your therapy helps...I can't say ive lived through anything that horrible, but if you ever need someone to talk to you can always come here. This forum is here to help you and maybe you can meet some people you will trust.

Good luck.

• 9 months later...

thank you miracle29!!! that advice of this older woman you got helped me breakup my current relationship!!!! i feel so much better now! im also an abuse survivor! and i found my strenght through this advice thank you so much someday i will meet the right woman!! im 24 years old soon !!! thank you!! peter