How and where to find help?

Mentally the last two weeks I've been really out of synch. My outlook on life is negative and my feelings are a mess. Everyone who says if your feeling suicidal, get help, go to a psychologist and get meds. While that sounds like a great plan, how would one go about doing that when they have no medical insurance? As much as I'd like to get help, I don't really see a point when it'd just put me in debt. All I know is I'm very aware of my behavior and I'm ready to take that step towards help if I can find a way. What are my options without incurring debt?

I dont know how to do this sort of thing without medical insurance, however I really want to say that your current attitude is very important. I, too was in this position. The fact you are ready to work through your issues is MORE important then the therapy, but the therapy would definitely be nice. I just really want to give you support with your willingness to face your situation. That is so rare and so vital in a time like this.

Sometimes Community Colleges offer therapy and counseling for free to enrolled students. My mom used to always enroll in maybe one class and then take advantage of the free school services. It's definitely cheaper than many other options. I'm not sure if they'll prescribe you drugs, but you might not even need them. You might just need the therapy. Who knows? Check it out. You might even get some enjoyment out of the class you sign up for. Some are just a night or two a week so you should be able to make time right? Good luck.

By the way, I went through a long period in my life when I just wanted to die. Things change...

Another thing to check into is to find a clinic that would charge on a sliding fee scale. They will adjust what they charge based on what your income is. If you look in your local yellow pages under "social service agencies" you might find a likely place to call for information.

**edited to add**

If you go to a church, you might want to try talking to your pastor/minister.