hi I am a newbie here

Hi There..

I am a new member in this group. Well I have a peculiar problem...

In one word I can say total lack of enthusiasm. Sometime I do get depressed whereas sometimes I just feel like lying on the bed looking at the ceiling.

Before that a small background myself...

I am early 30s, settled in Sydney 7 years back, married and have a kid 2 years old. I have changed quite a few jobs within last 5 years. The trend goes like this -

I join a company. For couple of months I remain proactive and excited. As the months goes by I feel down, my enthusiasm takes a nose dive. I usually get stressed and that affects my personal life. Basically I am not happy with my life. I thought of changing my job. I have quite a few commitments so I cannot afford to start from a lower salary. Sometimes I would sit at work looking at the empty computer screen thinking nothing.

Because of my situation I tend to be an impulsive shopper. I buy things which I could do away with. I end up getting big credit card bills.

Some people have asked me to try anti depression drugs but I do not want to think to that level. Presently, it definitely creates lot of problems. I have just joined a company (3 weeks back) and I am already fed up of this place. Now I think "why did I join?”

Sometimes I feel I am heading towards a big NOTHINGNESS....

Combine with above factor and no real friends around it are so hard to keep up with things. We came to this country 7 years back and since then have settled here. I am Indian by birth.

Does someone can show me why I feel like this... am I getting burn out fast?

You are suffering from depression. There are drugs to help yo uwith that, but you said you don't want to go to that level. I tried antidepressants myself, they do work, but i myself did not like them.

I think you should try to get counselling. They might be able to help you change your outlook on life, which might be the only thing you need to cure this depression. I know work gets boring and you find meaningless, but it might help if you discover your talents. What are you good at? What do you really enjoy doing? Maybe its possible to make aliving doing that. Sometimes you need to take courses and such to get there. I would continue at this job, and start figuring out what it is that makes you happy and what kind of job you can do to use your talents. We all get stuck in dead end jobs at one point or another... but it only helps us to move up towards our real goals in life. Make some long term goals to get where you want to go, and then work on them, small steps at a time. Counselling can help you do that. Also realize what you HAVE accomplished in life, you moved to another country, you are raising a family, that is a big accomplishment for a person of your age. That is something to be proud of. Well, I wish you good luck... I hope you feel better.

Thanks for the post BLUE....

Well more information about me...

I did my post graduate in IT from a University in Sydney thinking I will get a job which I like at least challenging enough. But I had a traumatic experience with my first job and hence forced me to give a hard look at my opportunity. May be I should have gone back to India but I did stick around took the first available job. And from then onwards I was doing same type of job again and again...

If I want to try things with what I want I will suffer to get a better job. I like computer aided animation but there are no opportunities in Australia. So I thought of doing it of interest sake.. but the resource needed will seriously dent my financial situation. So I decided to go against it... I did go for counseling but it uses to give me a quick remedy. ... Counseling in Sydney is expensive and not covered by health care...(that is why we have a high suicidal rate in Australia)....

Frankly speaking if I look at my friends they have done much better than I am. Materialistically they are better of than me... and that is also one the reason of my frustration....Frankly I just don't know how to tackle the problem. I get scared that one day I will take some rash steps which I will regret...

If you get medical insurance at your new company and you dont want to take anti depression drugs - I suggest plain old therapy. Find a good therapist covered under your insurance and start going.

It seems like you would be a good patient also. I bet it would really work out. If you have courage and really want to create a good life for yourself (which it sounds like ya do) then therapy seems like a perfect idea.

EDIT: Well I just read your post about being in australia and how counseling isnt covered by healthcare. My entire reply is pointless now I am sorry, dude. Then, Im going to suggest some self help books. Honestly, I feel like "The Road Less Traveled" is very good for gaining a healthy approach to life. I do not know another book that might be more specific to your current problems, but this is a big site - im sure if we ask someone will know. Aside from that, I hear bannanas release seritonin (or whatever its called) in the brain