How deep...?

For me: Deep enough to bleed, to hurt, and when you've been cutting for nearly four years like me, that can be pretty deep. My burns... an example. its like taking a lighter and keeping the flame going for about uh. thirty seconds to one minute. then i push it in my skin. then i do the same thing three or four times in the same spot.

I used to just do small cuts, like papercuts, but after a year or two of doing it the small cuts (pardon the pun) didn't cut it. So I started going deeper. Now when I do cut (I haven't cut in about 3 weeks now) it's deep and it bleeds a lot. Too much really. The last time I cut I went through nearly a whole box of tissues trying to stop the bleeding.

With burning I used to heat up a paperclip until it glowed red and then put it to my skin. Then I would do it all over again. I used to burn myself like this (just in the one spot mind you) for hours and hours until I couldn't feel it anymore. So usually I would burn through a few layers of skin before I could no longer feel the pain. Then it would just be totally numb.

I'm sorry if this is TMI, but I figured I should be honest about it for once in my life.

Sappho...

I just sometimes scratch with a pin of sharp object,. Ive only once used a small knife. Its usually quite shallow,. and i usualy stop at the sight of blood cause i freak out. i *USED* to overdose on a regular basis-- that counts for self harm too,. But my last OD was bout 2 months ago,. and my last cut was about a month ago.

Hey all, thanks for your replies! I was just wondering, particularly about the escalation and progression of cutting from the moment it starts. Sometimes I get that feeling like I can never go deep enough... I don't know, that might just be me. I don't really go deep, to be honest - too big of a coward to go as deep as I'd like. I tend to aim more for quantity than quality, if you know what I mean. Anyway, thanks for all the replies!

I have cutt pretty bad so bad that I had to get 15 stiches because it was so deep and wide and would not stop bleeding it had been bleed for 2 days before i went in it was bad!!! nowwith sissors I just grab some skkin and cut so its not that bad it bleeds for a couple of hours!

I used to cut varying on the area. But they always scared which is not nice. When I cut my wrists I only cut about a millimeter deep and kept away from the veins because I didn't feel ready to die yet.

I've not cut for 7 months now, made a promise to my boyfriend and no longer feel the need too. I am now starting a job on monday, going to college in the evenings and my life is genrally better. I

t's all in the mind, an adiction but it can be stopped. It's a choice you have to make on your own. If I didn't want to do it I wouldn't have promised off my own back.

I feel like a new person now. But I've got the scars to remind me of how bad life could be.

~S.

When you self injure, do you know consciously during the moment why you are doing so? Sometimes I'm just... not thinking, I don't know. And it just happens without any clear reasoning behind it. What does that mean? Do you have to be feeling something and wanting to suppress it, or feeling nothing and wanting to feel something amid the emptiness, or do you have to have some sort of explanation for why you self injure? It just makes me wonder sometimes...