They looked at me as if I was looking for a fight

But actually, I wasn't. I just walked in the clothing store and acted friendly, noticed that the baseball game was on and commented on our favorite teams.

No smiles, no conversation. Oh well. So yeah their customer service stunk but it made me think back to times when I went up to other groups of guys and I received the same "we-don't-trust-you-get-out-of-our-space" look. I'm thinking about going down to the basketball court to play today and I'll probably get the same thing.

So my question is: How common is this amongst guys? Is it natural for us to not warm up to people initially? How do we break that barrier of negativity? And why does this happen within our own races, but if it's a newcomer from another race, he gets treated with more respect?

I bet if I was the cousin or half-brother or family friend of one of the dudes in the store, I would be treated differently.

I try not to be cold towards strangers, (sometimes I just am) because I see other guys who greet strangers as if they've known them for a long time. In my neighborhood, that's just...

gay. Or stupid.

Maybe it is a natural thing.

And back to the store situation, maybe they were wary that I would steal something, but there are people who act friendly and have eyes like a hawk.

hi, well they probably were only looking after their store, dont worry about them, but if its just in general, i wouldnt worry either, its just ppl who r insecure and dont trust anyone, and its normal at first, i mean think about it...when u meet someone new, theyre total strangers, u dont know if their nice, mean, thieves, show offs...anything! its just intimidating, and can be pretty natural and logical. i dont like those ppl though, cuz they judge on ppl's physical appearances and sometimes (most times) how ppl look on the outside isnt at all what theyre like on the inside.

I don't get it... are you suggesting people are discriminating against you because of your clothing, age, race or something, or just venting off steam in general. It seems quite unusual that you would find people being so cold and defensive so often. You said in your neighbourhood, is it maybe you live in a rough area or something.

more explanation would be needed here.