slightly older people going back to uni...support!

Well, guys I am just posting a little thread for all those people starting a university course this autumn who are maybe slightly older than the status quo!

I am 20( though pushing 21) so although not ancient I am a bit older than most undergraduates. Im going to study modern languages in September and am feeling incredibly nerbous about it-it seems like the time is getting nearer and nearer.

I am quite apprehensive about a lot of things-being older than the other students, financial difficulties etc but after working in various rubbish jobs (call centres etc) I am looking forwards to going back to study ( I started a uni course before but dropped out).

A lot of my school friends are getting ready to graduate now and get jobs etc so it is quite daunting to know that I am going to be struggling a bit with finances etc over the next few years while they are earning money and driving nice cars..but it`ll be worth it eventually!

Any one else out there in the same boat? Going to uni this autumn and possibly slightly older?

Would be nice to hear people`s(not necessarily students)opinions on the matter! xx

think of how many people there is that are older then you and NEVER went to school.

Im 23 and going to school, although I look alot younger. Im not worried about it, Im excited to learn and meet new people. Noone has to know how old you are till they ask. Plus 21 is not that old, some juniors and seniors are your age...

Be proud that you're going back to school

Hey just enjoy uni boo don't worry bc age ain't nuttin but a number there. I have associates in their 30's who hang out with me all the time. It all boils down to maturity age should have nothing to do with how you interact and mingle. HAve fun! and yeah I'm going back to uni this fall to.

Oh my, you are making ME feel old.

I'll be going back at 27, and putting things like having children and such on hold, as I amass $60,000 in debts! Most in the program will be 19-20 and not facing similar decisions (though some will).

We all take different paths in life for different reasons, I am GLAD to be going back at an older age for this program - I'll be more prepared for various reasons. I know people who have gone to university well into their 30s, 40s and beyond.

I went back last year at 34. It was the best thing I have ever done. I wanted to go back for years but always thinking I was too old to go back. I thought I would not fit in , but thats not the case . I have made some good friends with guys at least 10 years younger than me. I dont feel any different to anybody else and I am not the oldest guy in the class either.

Plus, as an older student I am more focused and serious about school now I get the highest marks in the program , quite the opposite of when I was in high school

I went back last year at 34. It was the best thing I have ever done. I wanted to go back for years but always thinking I was too old to go back. I thought I would not fit in , but thats not the case . I have made some good friends with guys at least 10 years younger than me. I dont feel any different to anybody else and I am not the oldest guy in the class either.

Plus, as an older student I am more focused and serious about school now I get the highest marks in the program , quite the opposite of when I was in high school

Good for you some-guy...that gave some extra motivation for me as well!

I completely agree on the later statement about being more focused as well after some more life experience.

I don't quite fit in the older group, but I know at the college I attend in a couple classes I'd be considered the youngest attendee. In English, Computer Sciences, and Psychology it is a majority of adults well past their 20's.

Usually though, everyone gets along well. There are few problems between the undergraduates out of high school and those which have been out for several years without a college education or are coming back to college for a second degree or such. Here, a good deal of students look up to the older students. If it is a similar situation at this University (each differs of course) you plan to attend, it shouldn't be a bad experience people wise.

The older students here are usually those which are highest ranked in the class as well, offers good competition for the rest of us.

Ha you're still a youngin' Truthfully it was those fears that kept me out when I really wanted to return at age 23. Now I'm 31 and making plans to return in the Spring. Do it now because you're only going to get older. So you may be more mature that the other students, but really once you're there you'll just be another student.

Lol, i was just posting about the same thing. I just finished a degree but im going to go back and i feel a bit insecure about it as well. With that said, my 2 best friends are 26 and 27. I met both of them at my college. They hung out with everyone, no one ever even thought twice about thier age. I cant tell you how greatful i am for those dudes. Im so happy they didnt feel too insecure to go back to college.

Have you ever lost your keys? It takes a while to find them sometimes. Once you do find them, dont feel bad that it took you so long. Some people give up and cry after 5 minutes of looking.

In the end its all good, but i sure feel where your comin from.