I'm in high school, and I have been with him for over a year

I'm in high school, and I have been with him for over a year. I am fully convinced that he is my person, the one I am going to be with for the rest of my life. He wants to buy me a ring. Everyone thinks we're crazy. Well, not everyone. My closest friends are happy and excited for me. But others, some friends look at me as though thinking that I'm crazy, or think I am too young, or that its just teenage stupidity. Is it? or is it just that they don't see the full picture? or are we just so far in that they see something I don't? I don't know. 

39 minutes ago, Shad07 said:

I'm in high school, and I have been with him for over a year. I am fully convinced that he is my person, the one I am going to be with for the rest of my life. He wants to buy me a ring. Everyone thinks we're crazy. . My closest friends are happy and excited for me. 

It's fine to have a highschool sweetheart and BF. A lot depends on your ages and goals. For example are either of you going to university? Do you both know what you want to do career wise? 

Some people get "promise rings" to indicate that there is a special relationship. However engagement rings are for people who are set in their careers and financially and are ready to live as a couple supporting themselves. 

Don't worry about what friends think. How do your parents feel about him and the situation? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Shad07 said:

I'm in high school, and I have been with him for over a year. I am fully convinced that he is my person, the one I am going to be with for the rest of my life. He wants to buy me a ring. Everyone thinks we're crazy. Well, not everyone. My closest friends are happy and excited for me. But others, some friends look at me as though thinking that I'm crazy, or think I am too young, or that its just teenage stupidity. Is it? or is it just that they don't see the full picture? or are we just so far in that they see something I don't? I don't know. 

I think it can be perfectly fine. My friend has been married since 1987.   I was her maid of honor. They started dating at 15 and 16.  They got engaged when she was 20 -so, not after only a year -and planned their wedding a year in advance. My parents- very similar but a longer engagement while my dad finished grad school.  Married 62 years.

4 hours ago, Shad07 said:

I'm in high school, and I have been with him for over a year. I am fully convinced that he is my person, the one I am going to be with for the rest of my life. He wants to buy me a ring.

Just be aware that teenagers still have a long way to go to fully mature - meaning the brain is only fully mature at age 25 - and therefore a lot of changes happen between those years.  Teenage years and romances are typically very intense and you can't imagine not being with your first love etc, but the vast majority of high school romances don't last.

I know several couples who started out in high school. One lasted seven years and they got married young. Two years later they "outgrew" each other and wanted to live their lives and explore the world and other people.  Another couple together for 5 years and split up because they got bored with each other.  The list goes on and on.

Sure, It can work for some, but just be aware you still have a lot of maturing to do and during that time, a lot can change.

• Like 1

Why not just enjoy the present without projecting to the future? Keep on dating each other as long as you're both compatible and enjoying each other's company? There is no rush. If it's a ring, I'd just call it a promise ring. I received one of those in high school from a guy I dated for two years. First year was great. Second year, he became possessive and we also had other issues, so I broke up with him shortly after graduation.

For people my age, I personally know of two who met their spouses during high school and they remain happily married to this day, so it does happen. 

No need to concern yourself, at this moment, if this is your lifetime person or not. Time will reveal all. You two have plenty of time, if it works out, to plan a life together years down the road when you've both established good careers. The younger years you're experiencing now are very fleeting. Enjoy them without bringing adult matters into your life and speeding into marriage and possibly kids. Adulthood is a very long stage that will be waiting for you when you're good and ready.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1