Alcohol consumption

10 minutes ago, User69420 said:

Hello I was wondering would yous say 100 units of alcohol in 3 weeks is a lot? Just to put of context behind it, im 18. 

It seems like you're concerned. Is it causing issues?  It may cause health and social issues 

"men and women are advised not to drink more than 14 units a week on a regular basis"

Here's some  more info:

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/alcohol-advice/calculating-alcohol-units/

I dont know those measurments. But if this is true

Two bottles of 13% wine is about 19.5 units. Four bottles of 13% wine is 39 units. Five bottles is 50 units.

That is 10 bottles of wine. In 21 days. That is one whole bottle in 2 days. Even when its divided by days(you probably didnt drink every day but sporadically on few days) its still quite a lot. Yes, you are young. But it still seems like a lot.

1 minute ago, Kwothe28 said:

I dont know those measurments. But if this is true

That is 10 bottles of wine. In 21 days. That is one whole bottle in 2 days. Even when its divided by days(you probably didnt drink every day but sporadically on few days) its still quite a lot. Yes, you are young. But it still seems like a lot.

Yeah I was drinking beer but I cannot lie im going to go for a liver scan as im not going to risk anything.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, User69420 said:

Ummm well I mean I had some sharp pains in my heart area to which it said it may possibly be alcohol damage (or something along those lines)

Yes go to a physician. They can do a panel of tests and give you advice where to get help, including if you are self-medicating for other problems.

10 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Yes go to a physician. They can do a panel of tests and give you advice where to get help, including if you are self-medicating for other problems.

Yeah im going to go to one at some point this week just to make sure that im all okay. 

6 hours ago, Batya33 said:

Are you concerned about why you're drinking so much?

Im not sure why im drinking so much, I mean I just cant stop in a way. Like the other day I was drunk whilst talking to my friends and ran out of beer. So I ran up to my local supermarket and bought another 2 packs of 4 beers just so I could carry on drinking.

6 hours ago, User69420 said:

Im not sure why im drinking so much, I mean I just cant stop in a way. Like the other day I was drunk whilst talking to my friends and ran out of beer. So I ran up to my local supermarket and bought another 2 packs of 4 beers just so I could carry on drinking.

Yes- I'd prioritize that over a liver scan.  I am not a health care provider but I think it takes more/more time to develop a liver issue.  You can stop.  If you feel you cannot stop I'd check out the local AA in your area to get resources/attend a meeting.  I'm sorry you're struggling. Did you drive under the influence? Please don't.

28 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

Yes- I'd prioritize that over a liver scan.  I am not a health care provider but I think it takes more/more time to develop a liver issue.  You can stop.  If you feel you cannot stop I'd check out the local AA in your area to get resources/attend a meeting.  I'm sorry you're struggling. Did you drive under the influence? Please don't.

I don't drive at all so thankfully I don't drive under the influence but im just trying to stop now before I go to uni otherwise things could turn sour if I don't stop.

14 minutes ago, User69420 said:

I don't drive at all so thankfully I don't drive under the influence but im just trying to stop now before I go to uni otherwise things could turn sour if I don't stop.

I would not “try”. For now I’d stop completely and also seek outside support from AA and or a health care provider 

3 hours ago, Batya33 said:

I would not “try”. For now I’d stop completely and also seek outside support from AA and or a health care provider 

Yeah I mean im stopping but sometimes like on thursday/friday/saturday I drink with friends and I know I could just say I dont want to go drinking but its hard when we all have a class time.

2 minutes ago, User69420 said:

Yeah I mean im stopping but sometimes like on thursday/friday/saturday I drink with friends and I know I could just say I dont want to go drinking but its hard when we all have a class time.

Go out with friends and order nonalcoholic drinks.  My limit was less than one beer so I'd order sparkling water with a splash of cranberry juice and a twist of lime -looked like a drink.  If you can't stop that's a real problem and drinking 3 days a week is a lot.

If you have a physical and/or emotional dependency you cannot "just stop". It actually could be dangerous.

See a medical doctor first and foremost for a full evaluation. Do not conceal or minimize how much you drink or the doctor can't help you.

A friend of mine drank himself to death. So did my grandfather. It's not sexy or romantic or cool. It's a painful, long, drawn out death. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

Go out with friends and order nonalcoholic drinks.  My limit was less than one beer so I'd order sparkling water with a splash of cranberry juice and a twist of lime -looked like a drink.  If you can't stop that's a real problem and drinking 3 days a week is a lot.

Yeah the next time I go out im just going to go for the social reasons and not to drink myself away that night. I am trying to cut down/stop completely because it is also very expensive.

5 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

If you have a physical and/or emotional dependency you cannot "just stop". It actually could be dangerous.

See a medical doctor first and foremost for a full evaluation. Do not conceal or minimize how much you drink or the doctor can't help you.

A friend of mine drank himself to death. So did my grandfather. It's not sexy or romantic or cool. It's a painful, long, drawn out death. 

Yeah im going to go to my local GP and see what they say and see if they could book me in for a more in depth test at the hospital or something.

5 hours ago, User69420 said:

Yeah the next time I go out im just going to go for the social reasons and not to drink myself away that night. I am trying to cut down/stop completely because it is also very expensive.

I would go cold turkey before you develop more of a dependency.

Just now, boltnrun said:

Depending on the length and amount of your usage of alcohol, going cold turkey could be contraindicated or even dangerous. Please consult with your doctor. 

https://americanaddictioncenters.org/withdrawal-timelines-treatments/cold-turkey

I understand. What I meant was to drink nothing when he goes out.  Since he drinks at other times that is not going cold turkey overall.

7 hours ago, Batya33 said:

I understand. What I meant was to drink nothing when he goes out.  Since he drinks at other times that is not going cold turkey overall.

Yeah im just going to stop drinking for a long period of time so I can let my body fix itself in the time it needs and see where I can go from there.

1 hour ago, User69420 said:

Yeah im just going to stop drinking for a long period of time so I can let my body fix itself in the time it needs and see where I can go from there.

I didn’t advise that. I simply suggested not to drink when out with friends. Then go see a doctor about your desire to drink alone and at other times. And follow their advice about how to reduce and or stop alcohol consumption.  I’m not a health care provider and agree with Bolt.