Does autism get "worse" with age?

Or does it simply stay the same? I've been doing research and I found two articles that claim it gets worse, and one article that claimed autism symptoms get less severe with time.

I'm sure you already know, I'm autistic. I began stuttering at age 9 as a result. From 9 to 14 my stuttering was horrible. At first I stuttered on S-words. I couldn't say an S-word to save my life. Then suddenly my stuttering switched to harder syllables, like G and D words. (I went from not being able to say my last name to not being able to say my first name.) I still stutter but it's not half as bad as it was as a kid---but it's still there.

Having a breakdown over change in routine is something I ALWAYS struggled with, particularly with food. If I was at a restaraunt where I always ordered grilled cheese, but was craving a pizza, my brain would go into panic-mode. Thankfully I learned to train myself to just relax, trust my gut instinct, and go with that. (Also remind myself that I'm not meant to enjoy just ONE thing for the rest of my life.)

Basically, I've observed that my stuttering improved (on some level) and my panic over change-in-routine did as well. Otherwise, my autism still seems the same. (Obsessions, living in the past, etc.)

Any opinions/examples/feedback welcome!

No , it does get worse with age. The ability to deal with different things varies from situation and day to day. Listen to autistic voices not medical professionals who are not autistic and have no clue what it is like to be autistic they are often clueless about it and ablest as well. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Seraphim said:

No , it does get worse with age. The ability to deal with different things varies from situation and day to day. Listen to autistic voices not medical professionals who are not autistic and have no clue what it is like to be autistic they are often clueless about it and ablest as well. 

lol, I was hoping you'd reply, as I knew your son is autistic. (I will have to totally agree, it does NOT get better or improve. It will either get worse or simply stay the same.)

What symptoms does your son have? How have they changed/gotten worse?

I would not say he is any worse . He is the same but it depends on his ability to handle a certain situation depending on his coping skills that particular day and the particular situation. 
For instance his working memory and processing speed is incredibly poor at 1st percentile. However, his long term memory and general knowledge ability is 67th percentile which is very good and above average . So while his ability to learn something is very impaired once he retains it , it is there for good. He is also written communication impaired and has hearing processing disabilities and learning disabilities specifically math. He has impaired ability to use his hands due to laxity in his joints and very poor muscle control. 

His overall function is believed to be about 13th percentile. So 87% of his same age peers function better than he does. But that only includes neurotypical peers not neurodivergent peers. 

He in most instances he needs my one on one support . He is able to do banking and paying bills and shopping where there is very little conflict which is hard in times of Covid. He works for me so he has space to learn and be accommodated and a very low conflict environment. He has normal intelligence. 

His ability to navigate any situation will be impaired by meltdowns which are significantly increased by Covid restrictions. Autistic meltdown can be caused by internal and external forces and I just watch for his reactions and if I see increasing agitation we don’t leave home . He a lot of the time self regulates by staying primarily in his room and doing things online like his YouTube channel.  

He has very strict food aversions and he only eats about 25 different foods. That changes very very little. 

• Like 1

My son is autistic level one, his half sister is full and she was VERY challenging through her teen years, violent and not easy to deal with in many ways.. was sad 😕 . She ended up heavily medicated and into a home where they could try & work with her.

My son, like you has his desired small food variety he can handle and I am often trying to get him to understand how his sleep & schedules are important ( not keep pushing it with sleep habits), I guess he's at that age?  Need to learn his limits etc). His senses are extreme so will only wear certain clothing and some things ( textures) actually make him feel ill. 

He was not properly dx as autistic until the last cpl years, (though I was pretty certain), because, although he was known in his jr years with some 'form' of issue's, he was not properly labeled.

He is 20 now and was noted before school that he was 'delayed' in ability to talk.  By his jr years they sent him to another school for some training in computer use to assist him through school.  it did him well.  He finds it a real challenge to do mind to paper type of work, so doing up written work, reading then explaining , he was unable.

His short term memory is affected. We could be having a conversation and slight interruption would send him off and that thought be totally lost.

He does work p/t with a great employer who gets him & his ways.  he works with cars and does basics, which he can handle okay.  When he comes home he gets his 'down time' each day to 'relax & regenerate'. 

As for friends, he has very few who he feels comfortable with.  Which is okay, he has family nearby and is never alone . He enjoys his gaming and animals.  He's quite affectionate with them all.

• Like 1
On 1/20/2022 at 3:03 PM, SooSad33 said:

My son is autistic level one, his half sister is full and she was VERY challenging through her teen years, violent and not easy to deal with in many ways.. was sad 😕 . She ended up heavily medicated and into a home where they could try & work with her.

My son, like you has his desired small food variety he can handle and I am often trying to get him to understand how his sleep & schedules are important ( not keep pushing it with sleep habits), I guess he's at that age?  Need to learn his limits etc). His senses are extreme so will only wear certain clothing and some things ( textures) actually make him feel ill. 

He was not properly dx as autistic until the last cpl years, (though I was pretty certain), because, although he was known in his jr years with some 'form' of issue's, he was not properly labeled.

He is 20 now and was noted before school that he was 'delayed' in ability to talk.  By his jr years they sent him to another school for some training in computer use to assist him through school.  it did him well.  He finds it a real challenge to do mind to paper type of work, so doing up written work, reading then explaining , he was unable.

His short term memory is affected. We could be having a conversation and slight interruption would send him off and that thought be totally lost.

He does work p/t with a great employer who gets him & his ways.  he works with cars and does basics, which he can handle okay.  When he comes home he gets his 'down time' each day to 'relax & regenerate'. 

As for friends, he has very few who he feels comfortable with.  Which is okay, he has family nearby and is never alone . He enjoys his gaming and animals.  He's quite affectionate with them all.

Autism doesn't have any "levels." It's like a pie chart. 

I used to have a breakdown if my change in routine was disturbed; particularly with food. If I was at restaurant where I always ordered grilled cheese---but was craving chicken tenders---my mind would go into massive panic. (To put it mildly.) Or if I wanted to watch a movie that I wasn't used to watching, I'd have that same breakdown.

I'm happy to say that I did learn some coping mechanisms for my change-in-routine-breakdowns, which have helped tremendously: 1.) I remind myself that I'm not meant to enjoy just ONE thing for the rest of my life. 2.) I imagine myself holding the "Old Routine" over my head and replacing it with the "New Routine."

But my other autistic symptoms are still very strong. Believe me, I don't think they can/will improve as easily as coping with change-breakdowns.

29 minutes ago, TulipWriter said:

Autism doesn't have any "levels." It's like a pie chart.

Apparently it does.  He was dx last year.. he's in the lowest , requiring 'minimal support'.

"Level 1 ASD is the least severe. This could be viewed as mild autism. People who qualify as having Level 1 ASD may struggle in social situations and have some concerns with restrictive or repetitive behaviors but they only require minimal support to help them function in their day to day activities.

ASD Level 1 – Level 1 ASD is currently the lowest classification. 

ASD Level 2 – In the mid-range of ASD is Level 2. 

ASD Level 3 – On the most severe end of the spectrum is Level 3 which requires very substantial support.

33 minutes ago, TulipWriter said:

I used to have a breakdown if my change in routine was disturbed; particularly with food. If I was at restaurant where I always ordered grilled cheese---but was craving chicken tenders---my mind would go into massive panic. (To put it mildly.) Or if I wanted to watch a movie that I wasn't used to watching, I'd have that same breakdown.

So, where would you class yourself on the spectrum?  Are you able to work a bit?  

My son has a cpl friends and is hard to read him sometimes, as he's kept a lot inside, of which he's finally admitted to me since he hit 20 🙂 .  I am glad he's talking a little more about his challenges there.. and I try my best to support & work with him.  I do not pressure him too much, knowing he 'needs' his down time.

I have always been aware of his 'food specifics'.  Same as you, he'd prefer chicken fingers or popcorn chicken & one type of pizza & enjoys his pasta.  Selection/ preferences are small, but it's normal. ( same with clothing, due to his 'extreme senses').

Is good that you've learned some coping mechanisms, same for me re: anxiety, lol.  Yes, can become debilitating 😕 .

I know, change is hard.  Working on accepting is good... gradually even.

16 minutes ago, SooSad33 said:

Apparently it does.  He was dx last year.. he's in the lowest , requiring 'minimal support'.

"Level 1 ASD is the least severe. This could be viewed as mild autism. People who qualify as having Level 1 ASD may struggle in social situations and have some concerns with restrictive or repetitive behaviors but they only require minimal support to help them function in their day to day activities.

ASD Level 1 – Level 1 ASD is currently the lowest classification. 

ASD Level 2 – In the mid-range of ASD is Level 2. 

ASD Level 3 – On the most severe end of the spectrum is Level 3 which requires very substantial support.

So, where would you class yourself on the spectrum?  Are you able to work a bit?  

My son has a cpl friends and is hard to read him sometimes, as he's kept a lot inside, of which he's finally admitted to me since he hit 20 🙂 .  I am glad he's talking a little more about his challenges there.. and I try my best to support & work with him.  I do not pressure him too much, knowing he 'needs' his down time.

I have always been aware of his 'food specifics'.  Same as you, he'd prefer chicken fingers or popcorn chicken & one type of pizza & enjoys his pasta.  Selection/ preferences are small, but it's normal. ( same with clothing, due to his 'extreme senses').

Is good that you've learned some coping mechanisms, same for me re: anxiety, lol.  Yes, can become debilitating 😕 .

I know, change is hard.  Working on accepting is good... gradually even.

The Autistic community doesn’t believe in levels it only the allistic community does. 

• Like 1