Stolen iPad pinged location then died again

Last night an iPad of mine that hasn’t been turned on in months (and wasn’t necessarily stolen but I have been robbed 3 times in the last half a year so it’s not inconceivable it was) showed up on the other side of town. I definitely haven’t charged that. Woah! This is a lead, maybe I can recover more of my things!

But it was already a couple of hours past bed time and driving there would have kept me up at least another hour and the find my phone location gets you close but not close enough. So I let the cops know and went to sleep. 

They just called me back about it and I checked on find my phone again, it’s dead, last location approx the same area on that road but now a slightly different address. The cop on the phone made a note but was so dismissive. I tried to tell him the name of the guy that was later caught driving my van and he was like ‘that’s all circumstantial’. Well yes, it is. Isn’t that why it’s relevant? Arsehole mcarsehole is caught driving my van and then my ipad shows up at the house three doors down from his best mates? The iPad location by itself is no help, if it points you near someone connected with him isn’t that suspicious as hell?!!

Anyway, I’m solidly disappointed it went flat. And it’s extra annoying because I had accepted all my equipment was gone and for a brief window here was some hope I could recover it, a live Idevice, and it’s knocked my acceptance back 

That is indeed frustrating! I hate that term police throw around ‘circumstantial evidence.’  I believe it can be the most crucial. They have their protocols though.

Im sorry you were robbed. It sounds like you have good Leeds yourself on where it is. The police just need to get off their hind quarters and do something more about it! 

Hugs go out to you.

• Like 1

I diiiiid, a fortnight from the day it was taken the cops called. I found out later it had been involved in a string of crime, fuel drive offs, stealing another van from ikea and copper theft. Maybe mainly copper theft, it’s a bit of a racket, steal a van, use it to break down the fence of the building site and steal the copper. It sure looked like it had spent the last 2 weeks being a battering ram, it wasn’t in great shape, or road worthy. 

Alas, they can only ping the drongo that was driving it with driving an unlawfully obtained vehicle. And searching the house he shares with his mum yielded no loot. 

That iPad has continued to update its location as approximately where it is but still only within a radius of about 10 different addresses. Too many. Still sent them all to the detective on the van case just in case someone known lives near there.

5 hours ago, 1a1a said:

. It sure looked like it had spent the last 2 weeks being a battering ram, it wasn’t in great shape, or road worthy. 

driving an unlawfully obtained vehicle. 

So you got the vehicle back,it was damaged but none of the items in the vehicle were recovered? 

What does "ping the drongo" mean? Do you mean he was not arrested for stealing the car? Sorry so much colloquial slang makes your posts almost incomprehensible.

A drongo is a dropkick. I think pin auto corrected to ping. Translated; they can only try and convict the suspect of driving an unlawfully obtained vehicle. (But they are confident this charge will stick and he’ll go back to gaol as he’s a serial offender). 

yep, all my gear is gone, they even cleared out my dirty plates, empty cd cases and receipts for fuel. It’s effort to clear out the cabin of personal effects and they went to it. The only thing I got to keep was a cd that was in the player, that’s a small consolation though because I like that album a lot and would have replaced it if they’d taken it too.