Ok so my parents really make me mad. They recently got my report card in the mail, my grades are 2 B's in my electives and 2 D's and an F. They were like hysterical about this, seriously like freaking out and nagging. They said I had options of taking 9th grade over or military school which is the most absurdly stupid thing I've ever heard. First of all, there not at school, they don't have an idea of how my work is there, what I do, if I'm on task or not. I have to say I'm a good student, I pay attention, take notes, everything a good student would do. The bad thing is when it comes down to my tests. I seriously don't know how to study (for math) laugh if you want, screw you. I always never get down to it anyway, I've listened to some of my friends who have 3.8's-4.0's and they DON'T STUDY. I was speechless. I thought it was a bunch of ****. Apperently not. They just go to school and take the test, get good grades on it like it's tying your shoes. So everytime I take a test I always miss one subject. It is really irritating, I will know how to do everything really except when it comes down to one little part. There is often something put in there that was not focused on enough. And I hate my teacher for this. She will just turn on the overhead when showing the class how to do a type of algebra and she does a problem and then assumes everyone gets it. I have raised my hand in the pass, she goes over it then since I'm really stupid I just sit there drooling because I don't know what just happened really. I feel like a total dumb *** because I will need it explained 3-5 times or so. If I go up to her desk, basically she will help me with my hw, but she does like the hw for me, I don't understand how she does it. She's a bad teacher and doesn't stress the formulas enough. I just think I'm a total flipping retard I have a 134 IQ but I don't understand stupid little methods. I always screw up because of a careless error. Another thing is when she's teaching in class it's like so boring that I just think of something else like when I'm out of this period or lunch, what I'm going to do when I get home, I can never stay really focused, I don't know if I have ADD, I can pay attention to something that's actually important to me but not something stupid like class. And my parents are so annoying, they nag on me and stress things when I get errors on the tests, usually I have small careless errors or it's the stupid random type of math problem that we didn't practice enough in the homework. And usually I only miss like 5 problems!! And I get a 50% or a 60% to a 65% usually. They focus too much on the grade and not the error and how much I missed, so flipping frustrated right now. And for my biology/chemistry (science) when I have chem labs and stuff I do good on those, I participate and all that and its slowly rising but it's the end of school so it doesn't help much to have one quarter with a good grade and the rest with crap. And I showed my parents I had a D in that class and they freaked out, I told them it was rising (I went from around a 47-56 to a 60% in these least few months its pretty hard I guess....probably not since I'm such a retard). And for English, I had presentation and I got a C- because I didn't have a goddamn visual aid. 15 PTS! Who needs to look a flipping model or picture to get an idea of history? I have said a good speech, a good PPT , the hell else do these people need? My teacher is an idiot he said I would have a B if I had a flipping aid. THAT IS ******* CRAP! People shouldn't need to use their hands to get wth I'm talking about. I hate school. Opinions on what I should do about this pile of **** I call life?

You're not a retard, people learn in different ways. You say you're good in chem lab- perhaps you're a kinesthetic or "hands-on" learner?

I understand about not studying for math, I don't get that either. What am I supposed to memorize here!?

I was considered one of the best writers when I was in school a few months ago (sorry for the bragging, but I can't keep putting myself down) and I even started writing for the newspaper when I was 13. But Algebra? Forget it. I don't understand. Try to explain it to me, it'll take atleast 10 hours mininum. Sure, X+3=5 so thereforeeee X=2, but after that I get confused.

The reason your parents want you to take the grade over is for your own good- colleges aren't going to be impressed with those grades. Perhaps you could retake some tests in summer school to raise up your grades? Some schools might offer this.

whoa whoa whoa....a 60% is a D to you?!

its 69=F to me!

get tested for ADD, youll learn alot about yourself.

When i was in 9th grade or wahtever i got tested for it, basically it was an IQ test filled with other mind tests that he watched and made notes over me as i took them...not so much my results.

Turns out i have an IQ of 151 whatever that is but while i was taking my test i keept moving...my legs would move up and down...or my fingers would tap...or i would look around...a whole bunch of crap so he gave me this other test and it turned out i could only use up to 125/141 of the IQ, then brought on the medicing and my GPA shot up from a 2.5 to a 3.7 lol, its worth it trust me.

-Eric

What can you really do?

You are not that great in math and the teacher didn't take her job very seriously. what can you do? You need to get extra help some how. I assume that you are all signed up for summer school.

Your parents are not getting ready to send you to boot camp, they just want you to do your work.

Algebra is not really that hard either...at least it wasn't when I was in school, maybe they somehow made it more confusing.

Don't worry too much, if you are under so much stress then cut out some of your other activites...that way they will see that you are trying.

Take an easier math class. Everyone isn't meant to take calculus...take it easy. You will get it eventually, or not, it isn't that important in your life.

Hmm....

I struggled a lot with math in high school but ended up with As. In University math, I suck at it honestly, I still got a B-.

It's all about checking your work over again. You said you make a lot of careless mistakes, check your work over again.

Moreover, you have to study differently for different subjects. for math, you need to do over your questions over and over again. that's how the method of doing the algebra works. Moreover, if you have trouble when you try your homework, then get help for your teacher during class time or in the morning or after school.

And once you get into the higher levels of math, you need to constantly keep up-meaning always doing your homework.If you don't do that, they you get screwed because everything is cumulative.

They give you the answers in teh back of the book to check if you are doing it right. So check while your doing your work. Stick a bookmark back there or something while flipping back and forth from your page and the answer page.

And about your friends who don't study-they might not be truthful. I knew many people who "lie" about how much they study. Plus, they might be natural with it. My boyfriend picks up math like that *snaps fingers*...and i struggle. But I keep at it. I get low As and he gets perfect. He has a 4.0(96% actual average) in second year university and I have a 3.3. So we both work hard, it just comes easier to him.

Plus, regarding your presentation-you need to follow instructions. If that's what's demanded from you, then you do it. If you do not meet the expectations, the why would you meet the grade?

Best of luck my friend.

You're only in grade 9-so take the courses over again. It's just one summer.

Oh. and here's a math joke-my advanced calc teacher told me this:

At Heathrow airport today an individual, later discovered to be a

public school teacher, was arrested trying to board a flight while in

possession of a compass, a protractor, and a graphing calculator. Authorities

believe he is a member of the notorious Al-gebra Movement. He is being

charged with carrying weapons of math instruction.

Moreover, tell you teacher you don't get it. and rather than showing/doing it for you, she should try to lead you in the proper direction.

Like point out the given's, and the problem. And then you figure out the steps on doing it.

If she doesn't stress formulas enough,, then just hi-light it, box it, or put starts around it in your own notes.

In high school, I found that my statistics teacher was rather umm...not that good...to put it politely, and I just asked my Algebra and Geometry teacher to help me out with it. So maybe u can try asking another teacher for help, or get a tutor. Your education is worth getting a tutor.

It's all about dedication.

People like to say that they don't study - just to look cool. But, obviously, they are doing some amount of studying, otherwise they wouldn't be getting good grades.

You need to study harder and smarter. Get a tutor. Have your parents help you with homework. Get a study-buddy. Stay after class to talk to the teacher to have them help you. What helps me is doing the practice problems in the book - I keep doing them until I can do them on my own.

People like to say that they don't study - just to look cool. But, obviously, they are doing some amount of studying, otherwise they wouldn't be getting good grades.

While the point you make is generally true, I can honestly say I NEVER studied during high school....I just retain information VERY easily...I normally only have to be shown something once and I know it. However it did prove to be a bit of an undoing when it came to analytical stuff...Im a very logical thinker, I'm good at maths, tech, electronics, engineering, mechanics....anything technical.....however I have no hope at anything creative or analytical.

Bad grades does not make you a retard....as was said everyone learns differently.

Yeah.... I had to study my butt off during high school, because I don't have a very good memory. But, I'm in grad school, so I must have done something right along the way.

Some people like computerguy catch onto something very quickly. I'm not like that - I have to struggle with it some, but when I get it, it sticks. Metallicaguy - you may be just like me when it comes to studying. Consider hiring a tutor, or signing up for Slyvan learning center or something like that.