confused on what to do next

Hey guys,

Ok heres the deal, over the past few weeks id been watching a girl in my class for tell-tale signs that she was interested. She smiled when talking to me, we talked really easily around each other, walked together down the hallway once or twice. For a project we had i was greeted while walking in the door with a "HEY ERIC! do you wanna do this project with me and mike (an old friend no attraction)?!" When i arrived to take the SAT on saturday i thought she was looking at me ALOT so i pretended not to notice. She even suggested i apply at her work and told me to mention that i knew her...i got the job and now work with the girl i eventually just had to try my luck and thought i had all the judgement on my side...so i asked her out

Crash.Burn.Die. any adj you can think of...she said "maybe" i mean what is "maybe" (besides no obviously). Well its the day after i asked now...and she hasn't said a word to me all day. I walked by her and her friends this morning and i thought she was looking at me but i was so embarrassed i just sort of walked on by...i never got my actual no and i just dropped it, i asked her a question regarding a project we were doing today and she talked normally to me but it was just a sentence and then back to nothing.

Did i make a huge fool of myself here? Was i wrong to think she liked me? or did i just handle the "maybe" (god i hate that word) wrong. Help me whats going through her mind...i ignored her today pretty heavily and dont know what else to do other than that.

-Eric