Taste in Music a factor for relationships?

Do you think it's possible for two people with distinctly different tastes in music to date each other and have a good relationship. I mean the guy in question lives for making music and it is really kind of heavy rock. Which is cool...I like it. But, I dont' think he would like a good portion of the music I listen to. More often then not people's sense of style tends to revolve around their taste in music. This is the case here as well. I'm more hippie and he's more punk. Do you think this could work? I don't really buy into the whole you are what you listen to idea, but I know alot of people do. What do u think?

I think it would be immature to base a relationship on music. I like rock, my boyfriend likes rock, but he also likes oldies- I can't stand it. But I think it's funny. I would never dump him because we didn't have the same taste. That's what makes us all unique.

I don't share my taste in music with anyone I know personally, but it's not a probelm with my girlfriend and the rest of my friends. I can't see it being a factor at all unless you live together and play music at home alot.

I agree with kskm, your taste in music should not be a defining factor in your relationship. I look at it this way: music is a big thing for me personally, my tastes range from mainstream acts most people know, to very obscure artits, to stuff that most people flat out don't like at all. Music is something i get very enthusiastic about, not only do i listen, but i like reading articles and books about musicians and finding out how things are concieved and recorded, and stuff like that. I realized i get way enthusiastic about little things most people could care less about, so for me taste itself isn't an issue when it concerns music/movies/books or any interest for that matter. What i feel is important in any relationship/friendship is not that you're 100% into whatever the other person is, but that you can respect that their entusiasm for their intersts, and they yours, and try to get yourself involved in some of them on some level.

Thats just my opinion, I hope it helps.

mtastic

P.S. Rick Derringer Rocks

I think it would be immature to base a relationship on music. I like rock, my boyfriend likes rock, but he also likes oldies- I can't stand it. But I think it's funny. I would never dump him because we didn't have the same taste. That's what makes us all unique.

HA!! I've been dumped - 6 month relationship - because she liked rap and I can't stand it.

Music means everything to me. I can honestly say that. So, I can understand how a conflicting musical taste might be a serious problem for some people. Music envelopes all aspects of my life. I look to it for comfort and inspiration in everything that I do. If someone couldn't relate to this very important aspect of my life and really couldn't compromise with me about music.. it might be problematic.

And ontop of that, I have a very diverse taste in music and will listen to practically anything that's good. So for me to imagine there being someone who wouldn't like the same type of music as me is hard, but I can still imagine if it were a HUGE problem it has the potential to end the relationship.

Like attracts like. IMO that opposites attract crap is jus that crap. So basically to answer you're question I think liking similar music is a BIG plus in a relationship. I mean if you're playing your type of music be it rap, rock, soul, blues, country etc. all day in the house and your partner doesn't like it (or vice versa where he/she's playing their music all day) well then after a while it'll probably become annoying.

Your music choices are not all that different apart (metal-classic rock).

It should not be a great factor for a good relationship..Maybe if you only listen to Metal and he listens to salsa, then, that could be a predicament.

Anyways, If you both love each other, chances are you are open to each others music choices..its called respect. Just so you know I am a big Skinny Puppy fan and in the past (girlfriends) and with my current wife

its never been a problem (she likes oldies and the likes)..unless i crank

it loud when shes riding in my truck!!

I hope not -- I like mixtures of rock/aussie hip hop and the guy I like at the moment is really into trance/dance/techno songs.. We're both really into our music, too. But, apart from that we get on great -- if he'd like to hurry up and ask me out any time soon ( ), I guess we'll just have to compromise.. I can listen to anything except country (and shannon noll) without going crazy, and trance is mad to dance to -- so i'll just grin and bear it. ;D lol. I guess us just liking different music only means there's just one less topic to talk about.. and i'm sure we can think of something else to talk 'bout to pass the time